Dynatorch 45A Fine Cut nozzles

I finally got the hang of the Dynatorch the other night, and made a slew of rookie errors getting there.

For the work I was doing, I needed a Fine Cut 45A nozzle and shield set, but couldn’t find them in the Metal Shop. All I could find was an 85A Set. So, like a genius, I reasoned that I should just lower the current so it wouldn’t blast my piece to smithereens. THIS DOES NOT WORK! The nozzles will gaul up with splatter and freak-out the Ohmic Sensor, requiring repeated disassembly and cleaning. Also, the Ohmic Isolator and Shield (the one with the melted tab) weren’t connecting. Luckily there was another set there.

To try to remedy this situation, I ordered-up 5 sets of Fine Cut nozzles and shields from Jack&Dave on Amazon (has anyone used Jack&Dave consumables here?), they arrive today by 9pm. I also got 5 new electrodes. The plan is to leave 3 of the sets in the Metal Shop for anyone to use. I hope they don’t vanish like the rest of essential consumables.

1 Like

As a reminder, with the exception of welding gas/wire we do not provide consumables in the metal shop. I do not expect those consumables to last / avoid growing legs. We lock up the teaching and committee fine cuts.

Most of us just maintain a little tackle box or similar with the various consumables for the different types of torches.

4 Likes

Understood

If you want to sell one of the sets, i would like to buy :slight_smile:

How much did it run you?

$57.83 for 5 sets, so about $11.50 ea.

Nice. Welding supply was $35 for one.

Since Metal Shop doesn’t do consumables, it might be in our interests to pool together and collect several sizes at quantity discounts.

For about $230, we could collect 4 sizes and spread them between 5 users…$46 for a usable set. What do you think?

Which supply? That’s insane.

You sure that wasn’t “one” in that the standard package has 5 sets?

Mitchell Welding Supply. I picked up a heat shield, a 45A fine tip, and electrode since the teaching box was out of 45A or doesn’t stock it. Seemed not excellent to use tips for amps I am not used to working with and destroy them. Literally one of each. My husband said it was about average so I just kinda accepted it since copper has gone up a ton since I last bought plasma consumables.
I was going to get some glasses too but they wanted $10 to $15 a pop .

I obviously got rooked and won’t be coming back.

Looks like 5

Is that what you are considering a set?

The shields and electrodes haven’t arrived yet.

Check me if I’m wrong; but we need a nozzle and shield to change current and fineness. The electrodes wear out, so I got them too. The swirl and Ohmic standoff are universal, and don’t wear out nearly as fast. Is this correct?

That’s correct. They do last quite a while.

1 Like

I already have 5 sets of 65amp. I am only needing one fine cut tip set.

1 Like

The swirl ring is not universal. The fine cut swirl ring has smaller hole size and a different pattern.

1 Like

Let’s trade

1 Like

!!Tihs Ho!!

Your right Kevin, I missed the swirl ring. (Didn’t remember reading it)

1 Like

Just checked, the 220947 fine swirl ring is spec’d only for Fine Cut when using a Powermax 85 in handheld mode. In macine cut mode, it is 220857.

This is from the hypermaxonline.com tables. Do you have different data?