Dust hood for my miter saw

Going to add a hood around my miter saw to help with dust extraction. Has anyone tried, or have a constructive opinion on, using the exhaust out of the shop vac to help create pressure to help move more dust into the dust extraction holes?

I used cardboard to make a hood behind my old radial arm saw, with a cut out for the vacuum. It seemed to work.

I strongly suspect that any attempt at using the exhaust will likely cause more dust to get stirred up into the air, rather than causing the dust to blow into the collector.

Consider that using compressed air to clean wood dust is heavily frowned upon for the ability to put huge quantities of combustible matter airborn.

Usually a well designed layout will line up the suction with the natural throw of the saw and do a surprisingly good job. And what collects in the corners is still easier to vacuum up, or sweep to the vacuum inlet than if you didn’t have some sort of collector.

1 Like

@kbraby The use of the exhaust is to help push dust towards secondary the vacuum holes…my brother-in-law uses a system like this in his bio-pharm lab at work…but I hear what you are saying. My wife got this miter saw when she was in high school. It sends no dust into it’s dust collection port…at all…but now you’ve made me think through that if I just position a short length floor attachment in the vicinity of where dust is going, that would likely work…I’ll let y’all know in a couple of weeks…

@talkers Using Amazon box cardboard is genius to mock up my hood before I make it a permanent hutch on the bench…good call.

3 Likes