Duramax LLY Injector Wiring Fault

I was driving toward KS on I-35 last week when the CEL illuminated with a loss of power and increase in engine noise. Observing good oil pressure and coolant temperatures, I waited until the next exit and pulled into a truck stop. My wireless OBD-II reader reported a single code: P1295. Looking up this code provided insight into the issue, and led me to believe the engine was in Limp Home mode. I gently nursed it back to the barn and put it away for the evening.

This morning, I unplugged and then plugged back in the injector #2 and #7 electrical connectors. I then started the truck, but the issue was not resolved. These codes were present:

So, it looks like I’ll be putting the GM retrofit kit (P/N 98017958) on over the weekend to rectify the issue.

GM has a service bulletin out on this exact issue. A how-to, with pictures, is also available at dieselplace.

Pictures to follow…

1 Like

That version of Torque looks markedly less chintzy than the free one.

1 Like

The $5 is definitely worth it. The datalogging alone pays for itself.

1 Like

YAY! :tada:
Just curious…
crimp, or solder?

NASA standard 8739.3 defines acceptable manual solder joints such as a modified Western Union splice shown below:

As an aside, I’ve never had a soldered wire splice fail, though I’ve experienced several crimp failures due to low-quality splices, incorrect tools, and a combination of the two. Minding, of course, that all of my automotive solder joints have been Western Union splices, because that’s how my dad taught me to solder, because that’s how he learned to solder when he worked at Boeing.

Still though, if I had the cash for a good crimp tool and the types of terminals automakers use for harness splices…

1 Like