Dual Wan Router's

With all this WFH I am thinking about doing a Dual Wan setup for my house.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

When I last looked about 5-6 years ago I was going to use a cradlepoint.

Design Requirements:
Utilize my current cable internet
Utilize a cellular (AT&T) backup with support for an external antenna (It will be high and outside).
Not looking to change my wifi setup.

Needs to support at least 750 Mbps.

It will be designed to utilize the cable internet and only fail to cellular as needed.

I looked into a while back but didn’t buy. Ubiquiti has routers with dual WAN. It wasn’t that expensive, like $150.

1 Like

There’s a newer model that’s cheaper. Supports gigabit.

1 Like

That is much cheaper than I was expecting.

Looks like I could also use this

1 Like

I did this with PfSense at home, dual homing a 1Gig/40M Spectrum and a 1gig/1gig AT&T Fiber line.

I setup some VLANS to default to the Spectrum (download heavy, less critical such as streaming) and others to AT&T (my work and gaming, more latency and packet critical). All of them failed over to keep uptime when one went down.

The PfSense router I used cost me about $300 to build and worked fantastically, as well as being upgradeable. You can get a premade from Netgate as well (they’re the team that makes PfSense).

Downside to these is that their WAN <–> LAN throughput is disappointing (at least on the USG I tried, their Edge might be better but in the smaller units may be worth validating first). With most features turned off I barely got 800 on the fiber line, and if you wanted to use the features it dropped to about 600Mbps Mbps. The Pro model might be better but at a cost premium that, unless you’re heavy using Ubiquiti for network management rather than just APs/Switches, I don’t think is worth the cost usually.

That is intended to be used with their USG, but it may work with other items. Haven’t tried it, but it still needs a router that operates with multi-homed WAN as this is basically just the cellular modem.

2 Likes

Did you use a traditional PC or did you build an appliance?

I built a mini-PC for it and added in some good Intel PCIe NICs

2 Likes

One of the youtuber’s I watch just put out a video that was relevant.

The device I had not seen before that was pretty impressive to me was the pepwave-UBR-LTE.

It supports dual wan LTE over multiple carriers.

I think overall what I have concluded I am going to hold off on investing in a system and wait till next year to get on with 5G and SpaceX’s STARLINK Low Earth Orbit satellite system.

There is a lot of exciting things in the immediate future.