Drying/Preserving Flowers?

I have some flowers I’d like to preserve, ideally with as much of the original color as possible. I’ve done the ‘press flowers in a book’ method and the ‘hang upside down in a dark space’ method, but I was wondering if there are other, better ways? I’d like to have a couple non-pressed if possible. I’ve seen people use an iron to press but don’t have any experience with that. Has anyone tried it with success?

Any suggestions?

1 Like

I have used a cheaper, smaller version of this and was happy with it.

Microfleur 9" (23 cm) Microwave Max Flower Press https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050GWV9C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_TEtsBb3JZVM6V

ETA if I can find mine you can borrow it.

Silica gel (can get at craft store in floral department or online). It can be a little spendy but is reusable. It’ll keep their shape. Can wax if you want to take further. Also there are sprays to use on dried flowers that will help them last better

This article has many methods, link to videos, etc all in one place

3 Likes

Oddball suggestion, and one that doesn’t really solvr any of your issues but I remember getting ‘preserved’ flowers that were dipped in hot springs and essentially incrusted with minerals… I wonder if that effect could be reproduced

Definitely silica gel. You can plasticine them but never had much luck with that one.

1 Like

Can you expound upon or provide link for more reading on said method?
This is the only way I’ve ever heard the phrase “plasticine”, and doesn’t seem applicable. Granted, my world is pretty small…

I don’t. We had a workshop when I was in college with the folks from Body Worlds and I don’t remember the details but it was a similar process…take organics and feed plastics into them.

I’ve not dug into the article yet to do time, but I wonder if once you dry the flower you can resin cast it. I wonder if the gel would interfere with the resin somehow. I’ll have to dig into that but my initial thoughts is a turned hair stick with a clear resin sphere at the top with a dried flower.

Silica gel acts more as a desiccant and support while drying (much like other option of plain fine sand) I believe. Shakes off rather than absorbed. It’s a grainy thing. Dried flowers are often used in resin projects. Lots on Etsy (pendants, jewelry, and there is a drop spindle maker that puts them in whorls). I like your idea.

You obviously buy this in a larger amount for this project, a container of the stuff, but this might look familiar.

2 Likes

Bulk silica can be found in the floral arrangement section of craft stores. It usually has a moisture indicating color additive.