Driving Simulator Project

I saw a Google Maps Street View car as I was driving around, today. I followed it around for a while, and when I drive, I record video. So, I’m sure the Google car was capturing my car on camera at the same time that my car was capturing it on camera. The experience reminded me of one reason that I shoot video when I drive; I would like to create a driving simulator. It would be sort like Google Maps Street View, except that mine is a video animation, instead of jumps through still images.

Would anyone here be able and willing to help me create a video driving simulator of our city streets? What should we call such a product?

1 Like

I think in order to get a realistic experience, you would need to have a 3D capture while you drive. You could even use stereo cameras to capture and play back on the oculus rift.

There’s a pretty realistic simulator you might like instead: http://citycardriving.com/

I also have a Logitech G27 wheel that you can use if you want to use a driving simulator. But in terms of capturing real world data to make a driving game it would be extremely difficult.

Yes, my little video camera is far from adequate for what I have in mind. I’ve thought a lot about what I would need to do what I want to do. I need a lot more money, for example.

I hope to have more than just a driving simulator; I want to reproduce real locations. I would like for someone to be able to drive all over DFW, or hit the open road and drive to Albuquerque. It would be a 3D world with real-life video. You could use it to explore all over the place.