[RESOLVED]Drill press appears inoperable?

I was using the drill press to remove material from some mortises, moving slowly because it’s white oak. I was getting the depth worked out so I kept stopping the drill press so I could move the workpiece and measure the depth of the mortise.

After about 15-20 of these start/stop cycles it just…. Stopped starting back up. No loud noises, no funny smells, no magic smoke, no seizing or motion, just… silence.

I tried unplugging it for a few seconds and plugging it back in to no avail. I stopped messing with it because I didn’t want to make the problem worse. I sincerely hope I didn’t break the damn thing, hopefully it’s just a fuse or it needs time to cool down, because I was not going ham on this machine.

If you’re still on site try wiggling the on/off switch. A common failure point on this model of machine is the switch assembly.
@Team_Woodshop Anyone know if we still have a spare in house?

I believe what their talking about appears to be it loses power under load, but does it slowly in a slipping fashion, the belts just need to be re tensioned, they’ve become a little loose over time so it should just need to be brought taught again and it’ll be good!

If they’re saying it’s silence, I can’t imagine that’s a matter of belts not being taught, you’d still hear something. Sounds like it’s a switch issue.

Yea very well could be, I was just assuming the DC was on or something. But that would raise another question about is it just low quality of parts used or just the nature of having a large number of user that causes them to go out, cause we have a lot of switched that go out some pretty regularly! Not much we could do in either case to change it but it’s something to wonder

There is a fantastic Rockwell drill press in 102. It needs a new chuck but is otherwise perfect running order. I believe its a JT33 taper.

2 Likes

Back up here.

Photos attached showing the belts are tensioned and the light/laser is working fine despite the drill itself not working.

Will get a video link here showing the sound and everything in one go.

Any ideas?

Alright here is the iCloud link for the video I just shot of the whole thing. Showing belts tensioned, everything working, but won’t turn on despite messing with it. I fiddled with the switch a bunch to no avail.

I cannot imagine that I alone burnt out the motor on this thing after all this time. But I cannot figure out what the hell is going on here.

1 Like

This may be obvious but anybody check the breaker? Also does the motor have a breaker on it itself? Maybe it just tripped one, I’m not sure about pm but I’ve come across high load motors having breakers on them to prevent overload

Has power - button contacts need to be checked and perhaps replaced

101, is there power at the plug? Is there power at the motor?
Yes, No: something in between, this gets deeper.
No, No: check the power
Yes, Yes: check the motor
No, Yes: alternate universe

1 Like

Pictures should speak for themselves. Synopsis to follow

Overcurrent is bad. Overcurrent resulting in moving parts no longer moving is worse. Switch no longer works.

P.s. design is terrible

7 Likes

Meant for a weekend hobbyist, not our 7th grade wood-shop group. That LED sure is snazzy, isn’t it?

1 Like

I think it’s more power mastics unwavering desire to erase the name they’ve made for themselves in the past by doing the opposite of what made them great, now they’re just getting cheap and terrible

Does anyone know if the drill press is up and running again by chance?

Freddy was working on it when I left about an hour ago.

I was not able to finish before leaving but will be back later today(saturday). I have some auxiliary wiring to complete. Kudos to @TBJK for the assistance with the switch!

2 Likes

@yashsedai As the guy who was using the drill press when it shit the bed, I feel a certain level of responsibility for participating in bringing it back online. Is there anything I can do to help? I am heading up there in a little while to work on a project for a few hours, and would be more than happy to help with the drill press.

2 Likes

Drill press is now back in operation!

Kudos to the awesome @TBJK for all his help!

10 Likes

Thank you Freddy @yashsedai for all your work on this today. I couldn’t have done it. Thank you also for hanging around to check in visitors for the tour. I appreciate you and all that you are doing to help keep the place in working order.

3 Likes