Dovetail Groove in Aluminum or Carbon Steel

I would like to machine a dovetail groove into either aluminum or a low-strength steel. Does the machine shop have a dovetail cutter that can cut this groove? If the image doesn’t attach, the groove is a 60-degree included angle, with an undercut depth (aka cutting width) of .101". The height of groove is .188". I’m thinking an Enco Model #367-0150 would do the trick (?).
Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Also, I would like to cut some aluminum wheels for a clock on the Haas. I would need some 3/32 mills to machine the profiles. Do we have a holder for this size of mills and 3/32" mills available?

Thanks for your help,
David

We do not have a dove-tail cutter.

I would bet a 3/32" EM would have an 1/8" shaft. Which we definitely can handle. But you would have to provide the end mills yourself, ours don’t go that small. The trick w/ the sprocket is going to be figuring out the workholding.

Depends on the source. I have some 3/32 EM with 3/32" shafts, and some with 3/16" shaft.

The 3/32" end mills I’ve been using on smaller parts have a 1/8" shaft, so I’m good there. I’ll buy the dovetail mills too, if that’s okay.

Did you ever cut these dovetails? I’m curious how it came out because I have a very similar need.

1 Like

No I didn’t. The project went in a different direction so the dovetail wasn’t required. Let me know if you are interested in borrowing the dovetail cutter; I’d like to see it be used.

1 Like

That’s a generous offer and I’d love to try it … but as far as I can tell I need a 45 degree angle. Poop.

If your cutting aluminum or brass, a home made cutter from tool steel (I prefer O-1) is simple and easy to make.

Aluminum. And I’d be open to a home made cutter but have no clue where to start.

Well you start with a bad tool of course.

Or you can go this route. https://youtu.be/zQaIZtDWMsw

Next time we see each other, I would be happy to describe the process and help you with advice along the way if you like. It really is a pretty simple process.

Here is a video with a good basic instruction

5 Likes

Clickspring’s a liar.

(OK, not really, but he sure makes it all look really easy…)

Yeh, while it was interesting, I gotta say it would take me about six days to make that.

OK, so I’ve watched this again (and again). I see that when he gets to cutting the teeth on the mill he has basically an independent collet holder that he puts into the vise of the mill. Do we have something like that? And how would you achieve (reasonably) accurate indexing to cut the flutes?

There are several ways with the tools we have, but using this (in the HAAS toolbox) is the easiest.

These use 5C collets

3 Likes

Thanks! Since I’m not a Haas user it never occurred to me to look in there.

2 Likes

The 5C collets are in a wooden rack on the top shelf of the workbench near the cold cut saw.

3 Likes

Have no idea why it is in the haas toolbox. Didn’t know about them until I discovered while looking for something else. They were on the wants list I gave Brian.

2 Likes

Came here to see if someone would mention Chris’ custom dovetail cutter lol

Well … since you mention it … it’s off the table. :frowning: I went to Metals Supermarket today to get some 3/4" O1 tool steel. Since I have to buy a 36" rod in order to make one cutter, and since that one 36" rod is $48 - I cheaped out and decided to buy a cutter instead. While it would have been a great learning experience, and one I was actually looking forward to, I decided it was a bit pricey - given that I need to mill only about 2" of dovetails.