Donner damaged...or "Fire, bad"

Actually, these days, we’re all mostly customers. Hired contractors fix things. That is a discussion for another day.

You obviously missed the implied sarchasm in my original statement.

And to be perfectly clear: I am a volunteer who very much DOES NOT like rules.

Rules will not correct this particular problem. All it takes is one rule violator and we have the same failure mode.

Instead, add this to the training, and add a checklist of what the “standard setup” is and how to achieve this setup.

Then users as part of setting up a job can use the checklist to make sure things are as they are supposed to be.

You don’t have to reach 600 people. You have to reach the ones using the gear. And get them the information they need.

1 Like

This would be ideal and personally good to pursue, but as we know ideal conditions rarely exist. We are all human!

Each of us has no control over a previous members use and whether they set the machine up for the next user, so we shouldn’t assume they did. This is what should be taught in training.

But, what we can control is our ability to system check prior to our use. This is the only course of action that makes sense to me.

1 Like

Already on it. Threw together Public Service Announcement slides onto the Laser Chromecast last night. Revised - educational - slides coming today. Change made to class materials. Trainers informed and on board. Work in progress.

11 Likes

Other than electrical work, which must be done by a licensed electrician or our insurance is voided, our roof top A/C maintenance which ties in to annual deductibles with landlord, copier maintenance under lease agreement, I’m not sure how much repair and maintenance work is farmed out.

There could be more, but I’m not aware of it unless a specialized item like when the Haas crashed and it needed a new motor and transmission (over a year and half ago), which came with a warranty also.

SawStop is a great example, it was disassembled and repaired. Machine Shop services the lathes, Bridgeport, etc. Metal Shop did the induction heater, work on the Plasmacam. Curious what items are you thinking about because I’m not aware of them.

1 Like

@Photomancer and @tmc4242,
Can we pull back on topic, because both of you are headed down the tube of trolls. I know, I’ve been there and seen it. Let’s just drop the snarky over statement of we are all customers as well as the snarky you do know what your talking about statement.

We should be thanking @heyheymama for her efforts to fix this in a very positive way.

Thanks for being EXCELLENT. Keep it up!

5 Likes

That should read “for Team Laser’s efforts to fix this in a positive way.” Very much a committee effort. @PearceDunlap making repairs. @merissa attempting to find a member to educate. @tomthm proposing changes to training. @motopilot and @Brandon_Green weighing in on the debate. Lots of good back-and-forth happening on Discord on our channel. To be sure, the Team are voicing strong opinions, but those opinions are grounded in a commitment to creating a safer environment. Note the word “safer”. There’s no such thing as a safe makerspace, only active risk management.

And thank you, Nick, for routing the discussion back on topic (one of my pet peeves).

2 Likes

Thanks @heyheymama,

I do apologize for spreading my praise too narrowly. Please share my thanks with the whole committee, especially @PearceDunlap who was fixing things in multiple locations around DMS last night. I did notice that and appreciated it.

giphy

4 Likes

I haven’t covered it in my Laser Basics classes because I didn’t know the air assist pressure could be changed. From now on I will present as part of the pre-cut checklist and empasize that if you change something, you need to change it back.

6 Likes

And, thanking @heyheymama for her amazing communications skills and her willingness to use those skills so we all know what is happening with our Laser Committee.

1 Like

Ok Would having posted check lists be a good idea?
Even commercial airline pilots use check lists all the time
I understand that that is one reason we have few air crashes

They are stating to do the same in hospitals

Using a checklist is likely a good thing for many or us and
our tools, Checking the needle on a sewing machine is an excellent example
There you may break a needle or mess up some of your fabric/leather In fact, I think
I will make it a habit to bring my own needle, so I KNOW for sure it is the right one easier when you cant seen the ting numbers on the needle

This - I love this.

check lists would be great for every tool.

You could just get people in the mode of checking the check list before every thing they do. If its a tool they use a lot, they can do it on ‘autopilot’ but for a rarely used tool or something, a checklist would provide a great reference.

1 Like

Any time multiple folks use a tool, checking it or a check list is a good idea

Many years ago I was doing some oil paintings I was up late at night doing this
I laid then on the kitchen counter to dry, I went thru the kitchen a while later to discover
that one of my dogs was licking the painting! Sort of messed it up, repaired the damage then the problem
was where to put them to dry, I had a bright idea, I would put them in the oven
It was rare for anyone other than me to make toast, however the next morning my dad decided he wanted some
toast and e turned on the oven without checking to see if any thing was in it, Yep he baked m oil paintings and made a
smokey stinky mess I switched to acrylic paints then