Donating N95 Masks to local hospitals

In the Corona Update today by the white house, they are asking companies with surplus N95 masks to donate them to local hospitals to help our healthcare workers. Shouldn’t we donate the N95 masks we have in the warehouse so they can be used to save us, rather than slowly being stolen as they have been.

6 Likes

They have been secured as of a few days ago and we’re considering such an action.

7 Likes

That’s good news,
No better time than now to help, especially when the requests are now coming from the white house. We also have many members in the DMS that work in the medical field. It would be amazing to know that we have done something to help protect their lives so they can protect our lives.

2 Likes

someone brought a few boxes from the DMS stockpile to science the other day so there should be a few extra boxes there.

2 Likes

It would surprise me immensely if they were still there.

1 Like

People might die if we keep those masks for ourselves. We have NO CHOICE but to donate them to local hospitals.

4 Likes

I’m not against donating them, but people might die anyways…

This is in the works. No reason for us to hoard them when they can be used somewhere with greater needs.

8 Likes

We’re all gonna die anyways. Every chance we take to slow down the spread of the virus saves lives.

4 Likes

Are dust masks sterile enough to use in hospitals?

individual units sealed in cellophane/plastic inside each smaller box

But that doesn’t make them sterile. In the past when getting swabs for one of my wife’s injuries, you could get non-sterile swabs that were sealed. The sterile swabs were marked as so. They didn’t look much different.

They may not be the kind of masks hospitals use. They’re pretty specialized.

Texas Health also had their employees measured and specific masks provided to fit them and tested you every year to make sure you could put one on correctly by putting you in a helmet filled with a bad spray and seeing if you could smell/taste it.

3 Likes

They aren’t sterile the instant you open them. But that doesn’t mean they don’t work. N95 masks DO reduce transmission, both ways, lies from the government and media notwithstanding.

We should donate the masks but need to do it in a way that actually helps rather than having them end up in some hospital admin’s personal family stockpile.

1 Like

Provided you are properly groomed for facial hair. Many of our makers wear them improperly anyway.

1 Like

I’m not one of the fake lumberjacks :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve got a email out to two infectious disease doctor to figure out how to properly donate these. I’ve share any information when I hear back. They are very busy, but good friends, so I hope to hear something soon.

Donate what? DMS masks have been taken care of.