Let's build a bartop arcade (was: donate donate lcd for bartop arcade build)

I’ve got a 23" monitor that is USB driven, would that work or be too big.

Suspect that USB input won’t respond in a timely fashion to fast-changing graphics.

I have a 23" IPS LCD that I took apart, it has a few dead pixels (they look fine with mid to dark tones, just noticable with white) near the top but it’s a very nice 1080p monitor, I would donate this to the project. It’s in project storage now and I don’t think I’ll use it for anything since I took it apart. I think a 16:9 monitor would be fine in a bartop cabinet.

I was just looking at trying my hand this exact thing. I was thinking of going the retro-pi route when I remembered I had an old Xbox lying around and an old mod chip to go with it.

I would definitely be willing to donate it

Well instead of donating maybe we can stir up enough interest to do a group bild slash class to build a bartop arcade…i mean where each person acquires the parts to build their own and we have a build event at dms

3 Likes

That sounds like a fantastic idea

i’m game for helping to teach the class etc…i’ve only done xboxes but would like to expand into the PI for microbuilds.

The dragon bartop is near parts completion, so i could bring it up there for a look see to start conversations.

I’ve also got a full size scratch cab going up in vector next month…

2 Likes

I struck out at the goodwill computer store. No xboxes. Probably get a odroid board instead or an all in one intel board at least it is upgradeable.

You have to go on the days the truck delivers they go pretty quick…also look at shopgoodwill.com its and ebay for goodwill items…ill keep my eye out for one as well

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S® 6.

Someone just posted a build yesterday of a nice bartop arcade machine they built to /r/RaspberryPi.

1 Like

yeah i’ve seen something similar, looks like he refined a different laser cut build.

I suggest we get 2 builds going, one for an xbox, and another with a PI, that way we can cross teach and learn about each setup.

2 Likes

ok i was able to win a working original xbox for 30.00 shipped that we can tear down and clean up.

Anybody have a a PI they would like to donate?

I have a Pi B+ I could donate. Need most of the accessories still, I can throw in a SD card.

cool…what did you use for the controls interface with the PI? @themitch22

For my costume I used a winbook windows tablet and used an ipac2 control board. I haven’t tried hooking up controls to the pi yet.

yeah i’m familiar with the IPAC2, i guess we can dig around and see what the standard control method for the Pi is.

was that you bidding against me :smile:
I snagged one as well. I have a raspberry pi b+ and have installed RetroPie image. It’s somewhat usable, as long as you have a matching rom set for one of the five flavors of Mame that it comes with, which as luck would have it, I did not have a compatible romset. Many games worked, but it is not without its headaches. I’m looking for a seamless usability, as the last thing anyone wants to think about when playing games or showing off their new toy is having to fuss with the underlying magic that makes it happen.

I cut out my prototype cabinet on the laser today using foam board. It is a vertically configured one, about 16 inches wide (one player. I’m exploring options per se. I play mostly vertical games (platformers, shooters), but enjoy fighting games as well, so I am at odds with which orientation to go with. Also, with th 17" 4:3 monitor I have on hand, and my desire to make do with on hand parts, I think a basic, vertical, one player bartop is a good starter.

1 Like

wow i was thinking the same thing, i lost one today for 17.00, and the i maxed bid 20 and somebody got it for 21.

Retropie = Emulation Station correct?

What mame version does it come with, i have and older and recent set.

The Pi has limited preconfigured GPIO pins for controls, i think 2 buttons plus up down left and right. An Ipac/Kade will be needed for a 6 button plus config. I read a little on how to do this, but i have no experience programming a Pi.

Hahaha yes that was me. I was bidding on two. Got one for 21 :wink:

ok just let me know how you want to handle the show and tell or if you just want to get a class approved by the powers that be…