Does the makerspace have spray painting?

A spray booth for painting? I understand theres a powder coating room but I keep forgetting to ask about spray painting booth… I’m happy to help construct one if the want is there and I would have some assistance.

1 Like

No we dont. We are supposedly not allowed to spray paint inside or outside dms. We have been told there are fines of $2k for anyone doing this. You may airbrush, but no propellant spray paint.

2 Likes

welcome. No - never will.

1 Like

I think CA has a small air brush set up for acrylic paints.

Spray can paining is a no no due to city regulations. People tend to get a little passionate about that topic.

1 Like

we should add that spraying outside with rattle cans is also not allowed.

There have been a number of issues w/ spray painting at DMS.
Careless / lazy members have oversprayed on the prkng lot, the bldg, and member’s cars. Bad.
Something in the city codes changed ~1 yr ago. It’s ok in residential zoning, but not ok in commercail (industrial?) zoning. Just weird.
Paint booth has been mentioned / wanted since we moved into this location.
Codes and safety concerns pretty much eliminates it ever happening.

There is a possible “work around” / alternative. Get one of those spray cans you can pressurize w/ an air hose. Pour in your paint, pressurize, and do your project. And then clean up.

Edit: More on the topic can be found here -
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/no-aerosol-powered-spray-paint-is-to-be-used-at-dallas-makerspace-inside-or-out/53075/32

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/beating-a-dead-horse-or-why-can-t-we-use-spray-paint/55682/14

Something to keep in mind - when it come to gray areas, rules will lean towards being conservative - probably overly so - to protect the Corporation. Unfortunately this is needed to deal w/ weasels and boundary pushers.

5 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

You didn’t get enough of it out of your system on the original thread?

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/no-aerosol-powered-spray-paint-is-to-be-used-at-dallas-makerspace-inside-or-out/53075/141

It is what it is. You aren’t going to change things here, no matter how skilled you are at internet lawyering. The city is the city and they will win if you wish to butt heads with them.

2 Likes

You were wrong in the original thread… Just talk to the hand man.

The $2,000 fine is very real my friend. Check it out for yourself at City of Carrollton Penalties for Violation. Read the fine print . . . this fine is both for the Corporation and a separate fine for the individual.

The City of Carrollton complies with the 2018 International Building Codes. Stop by the Expansion Group Conference Room sometime as DMS has a copy of all these Building Codes. You can read for yourself what DMS can and can not do in regards to spray painting.

9 Likes

See what I mean about passionate about this subject.

3 Likes

um. wow. so I touched on a hot topic. I will just make a filtered, knock-down spray booth at home then.

5 Likes