Does the CA group have a long arm sewing machine?

My wife is finishing up a quilt and I’m wondering if CA has a long arm sewing machine

All the best

Fletch

No, we don’t. … …

1 Like

Hi, weird request but i have one and no where to put it, can i leave it for use at the makerspace? I will need to assemble it ti see if it still works.

1 Like

Many makers loan tools to the space. We now have 4 quilters that I know of. All of them have asked for long armers.

It will be a matter of 1: finding space. 2. Setting up training/permissions on it. And 3, following through with holding classes on using it.

Both sewing and creative arts have group meetings on Sunday afternoon, starting at 6pm. which would be a great time to come look at the space and talk about it!

Also, please remember that all loans and donations must be approved of by the chair of the committee that’s getting them.

1 Like

I’m currently chair for Creative Arts @Ximone_Willis , I’d love to meet up with you and check out the machine if possible, and we can talk more about the possible donation!

1 Like

It would have to go somewhere in your actual domain, Mark. The sewing room Does Not Have Room for a long-arm. Plus, the last time the SIG discussed a long-arm, @jrkriehn (a quilter herself) said that it wouldn’t see enough use for the amount of space that it would take up.

I let my neighbor use my long arm the other day. She said she had to pay $225 to use a long arm the last time she made a quilt. I think quilters would be excited to use a long arm whenever they wanted.

2 Likes

“IF” you accept the long arm, please let me know. I would be happy to notify the local quilt guilds of it’s availability for members.

3 Likes

The OP asked about a “long arm sewing machine” but all the respondents are talking about a long arm quilting machine. Both are useful for quilting but they are not the same thing.

Could you please clarify what you mean by a long arm machine, specifically the approximate footprint? Is yours a long arm quilting machine with an 8 - 12 foot roller bed, or a more traditional style sewing machine with an extra deep throat?

1 Like

It’s a brother PQ1500S with a table with about ~12ft rollers. Doesn’t look particularly long in the arm to me compared to normal sewing machines?
So the good news is that the table is disassembled and ready for transport. The bad news is that i bought it that way, realized i didn’t have a place to set it up, and never got a chance to check if it actually works. The person i got it from hadn’t set it up in 10 years. However, i think i can figure out the assembly if there’s space for me to try, and can test the sewing machine itself this weekend.

Hello, would you want to do in person? I can show the machine but the table itself is disassembled at the moment. If there is a place i can set it up at the makerspace, i can probably do a setup, checkout, and teardown this weekend.
This would not be a donation but a long term loan. I had heard that the makerspace was interested in one and figured i had one just gathering dust in the storage unit, better to have it where people can actually use it.

Thanks for the extra info @Ximone_Willis that really helps. Apologies for some reason I was under the impression of it being a donation. We currently have a sewing machine (not a long arm) that is on loan, and we have been trying to contact the owner to return it, without any luck. I’m hesitant to take on another loaner, but I do appreciate you reaching out and offering it!!