Does Metal Shop Need More Welding Table...Debate It Here!

Sounds like either welding or the machine shop need to build a new table!

Metal shop needs a new table, I’ll go a dollar more than whatever Blacksmithing will do.

4 Likes

Hasn’t come up in a meeting; what for? Just another workspace once the heaters and beaters move?

I’d like a different welding table, but only if we drilled all the holes to make it a fixture table :stuck_out_tongue:

Future welding table, fixture holes would be nice. When we replace the Hobart and have an outlet for the syncrowave we could use another welding table for classes.

1 Like

So 3 welding tables? We hardly have that many people welding at once and still haven’t even committed to another machine

When teaching we could use more welding tables. There is too much time time spent watching compared to welding. When I took a Tig class at a community college years ago each student had a welder and table. And they were against a wall with side shields rather than the middle of the room. So any student could weld on their welding table without everyone in the room needing to put their hood down.

1 Like

How so? We have two bays with a divider to avoid triggering helmets from the other, and typically only one instructor per class. We don’t have the real estate, machinery, average class size, nor active use to justify a 3rd table.

Our classes are for those who are not already at a point they are comfortable welding safely. If you don’t have to supervise them, they’re likely not the audience of the class. We can do advanced classes, but it’s a niche and goes well beyond our core goal of making the process accessible to all members.

Typically that kind of setup is typically for a programme with longer term classes, not a single class that gets one access to the machine. Or the students will already have enough prep going into it to be trusted with the machine without an instructor over their shoulder. (as compared to what is effectively retail use of a welder, where I’ve had to fail people for just complete inability to work safely). And again, our classes are typically people that have never welded before or have not done that process before. If someone can be unsupervised with it, they’ve likely already exceeded the class.

Additionally, we simply don’t have the space at this point. We’re not a welding training programme; our shop has to be usable for other metalworking. Tables against the wall are great for practice but less practical for welding actual projects. If we actually were a certification programme or provided advanced classes regularly, that’s one thing. But that’s not what we are, nor what we need to do.

The only reason the metal shop would need another welding table is to have a fixture table. If we did get one I would suggest getting one of these. I say that because the table is not a solid piece so if one of the table sections get destroyed we can replace that piece instead of the entire table.

https://www.trick-tools.com/BuildPro_Welding_Table_78_inch_x_38_inch_TM57838_4158

If we get a table like this either one of the existing tables would have to go or it would have to be put in after blacksmithing moves into its new spot.

You guys are making us blacksmithing folks feel like a kid who hasn’t yet headed off to college and the parents are already discussing converting the bedroom into a Media Room.

:smiley:

3 Likes

We could cut the plate into sections, and use the Haas to machine out modular blocks. Using a frame we could even make it just go on an existing table, or we could replace the table with one we make

Came across this after watching a recent Stuff Made Here video; in lieu of a full table in the interim, what about a smaller fixture jig like a Rhinocart Manipulator?

2 Likes

I like that it rotates while not requiring the loosing of any clamps. The smaller foot print I think is great also; easier to get in close to the point being worked on and more room in the welding area. Not many projects I’ve seen require a table as big as our large one and if they need a large table we have it.

I think this is a good choice if another table is decided for.

1 Like

Yeah – since we’re primarily discussing this to make welding classes more effective, we should only need a small work area. Plus, the flexibility would help people who would prefer NOT to work on one of the big tables.

2 Likes

For teaching it would be great, people wrap around and can see clearly and up closer than the big table.

2 Likes