Does making a silicon mold damage the reference item?

I have a ceramic paw print which, if anyone’s not familiar, is what it sounds like, a piece of ceramic (no idea any specifications as to what type) that is a print from one of my dogs. I need to duplicate it.

My original idea was to scan the object with our 3D scanner (if it’s ever been found), then 3D print the reference item, and make a mold from that.

But who knows when we’ll be able to get back into the space or if a 3D scanner is even around any more. So could I make a silicon mold from the original ceramic piece (note: it is painted as well, I assume with acrylic paint) and have it not damage the original? And then pour plaster or whatever into the negative mold and create a new paw print that way?

We did some silicon molds off of a fossil. It didn’t damage the fossil, but I think there are some things the silicon will permanently bond to. @maxk68 knows a lot about this stuff.

If you could post a picture it would help. If it’s hard ceramic it should not damage it. I would only be concerned if it’s already weak or porous. A one piece mold is very easy to do.

1 Like

just guessing it’s like this service offers:

If it’s safe to wash, I’d just spray on some mold release before applying the liquid silicon. Smearing/painting on Vaseline is also an option.

If there are no donut hole loops (unlikely given the subject) or severe mushroom pockets, you shouldn’t have any problems.

2 Likes

FYI - I’ve used this method several times for taking molds for ceramic textures.
Cheap quick and easy

2 Likes