Does DMS own a small rotary tool drill press?

I need to drill some very tiny 1mm (0.0254") holes with some degree of precision in some fairly small parts. I was curious to know if DMS has a “drill press” workstation similar to what’s pictured below?

Rotary Tool Drill Press

Thanks in advance,

Phil

I think I’ve seen a stand on the shelves in automotive second from bottom or bottom shelf. Just the stand, no dremel.

This is the mini press we have in Jewelry to be used with the Flexshaft.

3 Likes

Fantastic! I own a Dremel tool, so that’s not an issue - I’ll bring it in and give it a try.

Many thanks!

Phil

This will not accommodate a dremel, only a Fordem style handpiece on a flex shaft. We have two available for use on the jewelers bench.

3 Likes

@nausser915 … time for you to start looking for a (used) Cameron drill press similar to this one on Craigslist.

It would be better with the depth indicator, but we could probably add that.

In all seriousness, this one looks to be in good condition and $400 is a very fair price for it.

3 Likes

FYI I own the model pictured (the Dremel) and it’s pretty terrible. The hard plastic body causes terrible wiggle so the tolerances…well there aren’t any. I use it in the side position when burnishing and that’s about it. It is not really useful as a drill press.

1 Like

Yeh, Dremels tend to have a lot of runout.

You’ll find a lot of play in most Dremels, enough that you’ll think twice about precision. Replace the front bearings with something better and shim it in the plastic housing to keep it from wiggling and you’ll find it much improved.

2 Likes

The stand in Automotive IIRC takes a full dremel and not the attachment style Jewerlry has.

However, as noted by others the tolerances are pretty terrible. If you can chuck a bit that small then you can get great precision out of the bridgeport (and with your piece clamped properly can just move the xy to your next hole with the precise controls). I don’t recall how small the chuck can go though.

-Jim

1 Like

Looked tonight. It is a Dremel brand Dremel holder for drill press use. In automotive. Very dusty.

There’s a tiny drill press on the machine shop bench

The one for jeweling only?

That is not a general use Drill press. It is used for Jeweling and drilling of plastic only.

1 Like

This must be one of those “paid product reviews” I keep hearing about. :smiley: :smiley:

3 Likes

lol. to be clear I meant the actual drill press is garbage, but the rotary tool itself is amazing.

1 Like

Dremels are great, even for stuff other than burnishing leather!

1 Like

I know that’s the policy, but I wouldn’t think that a 1mm drill would damage that drill press.

And the other night I saw from the shavings on it that it’s being used for more than jeweling and plastic.

I would personally get a smaller chuck for those small drill bits & put it in the Bridgeport.

or Sherline Mill :blankspace:

2 Likes