Does anyone shoot FILM these days?

I recently picked up a Minolta Maxxum 7000, the first commercially-available auto-focus camera body. Got a coule of lenses, too. The whole thing has an 80s vintage retro-futuristic feeling to it. I’ve enjoyed shooting with it, but I haven’t had anything developed yet.

Once upon a time I had a Nikon N8008s body and a couple of lenses, I loved that camera. Right up until the shutter failed :frowning:
I only wish I could afford the model that occupies a similar spot in today’s Nikon DSLR line…

1 Like

I love shooting film. Need to get back into doing that, especially my medium formats.

1 Like

Yup. VHS is already starting to degrade in some cases of lower quality tapes.

I would love to be able to shoot medium format.

Take a look at what it cost for a quality film camera these days! There isn’t anything less expensive than the F6 out there, and even that is NOS. They haven’t made any in a few years.

Actually you can get into very high quality film equipment at reasonable prices today., Nobody wants archaic analog cameras, let alone camera that just have electronic light metering. Manual lens are a fraction of new digital ones - and there is less to go wrong with them.

Again, most folks won’t tolerate the gross inconveience of having to manually set, adjust, or focus anything. I happen to have started in Nikon equipment shooting film. When digital hit, most major companices changed the lens mounts so the lens weren’t compatible with the new bodies. All my old glass works on my Nikons. I have bought a number manual Nikon manual lens that have their best glass and are 2.8f and some 1.8f, 1.4f for around $200. But have have to do “everything” which is fine for me since I like to shoot studio portraiture and product photography. Since I shoot using either a heavy tripod or camera stand and studio lighting I’m adjusting every manually.

I do use a digital now to “test” the photos for shadow lines, etc. - no more Polaroids for medium format.

I shoot a lot with manual lenses. They are great when my subject isn’t moving much, but they are much more challenging with a subject that doesn’t care to stay relatively still or in environments that aren’t well-lit.

Of the few artifacts I received from my grandfather, this has the most sentimental value. It seems to still work. Perhaps I should use it periodically.

1 Like

The OM-1 is awesome. IIRC, the battery is only needed to run the light meter. If you know how to approximate the exposure you can shoot without a battery.

They’re also very durable. There are lots of (probably apocryphal) stories of the OM-1 body being used as a weapon or hammer and working just fine afterward.

1 Like

Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world’s a sunny day
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama don’t take my Kodachrome away

1 Like

Ahh Kodachrome.
ASA 25, 64, 200.
The benchmark by which all others were judged.
Also the benchmark that digital took so long to exceed.

Yes, I do!

I shot a roll of Ilford HP5 Plus 400 pushed to 1600 yesterday!

#filmphotography
#shootfilm
#keepfilmalive
#filmisnotdead
#35mm
#ilfordhp5
#hp5
#hp5pushedto1600
#hp5pushed2stops
#streetcandyfilmATM400

2 Likes

It’s a shame it is no more.