Does anyone know where we got the red chairs in the common room from?

Make a few dozen of these Opendesk “Johann” stools so everyone can be uncomfortable.

3 Likes

Top it with a bed of nails!

2 Likes

giphy

That was an awesome deal! The best part about these chairs is that everything on them is not only robust enough for guaranteed 24 hour use, but you can also order replacement parts from the manufacturer and they actually stock the parts.

In researching chairs for the space, we found out that these 2 details are not available for probably 90%+ of the chairs on the market. The chairs you can buy in the common retail stores are just at the bottom of the market in quality. They will work for some people for a while, but get outside the 150 to 180 pound weight range and the majority fail quickly. Even the chairs claiming to be rated for 250+ pound people, seem to be a lie as they fail quickly as well, usually just outside of the 60 or 90 day warranty.

2 Likes

I like the red chairs. But then again I’m one of those members that likes the spiky chair posted above.

Also I’m a fan of the Emeco Navy Chair so I realize that my opinion is probably not the most representative of the group.

Anyway, I think it’s really rude to constantly be second guessing this decision, not to mention unprofessional discourse to be having in one of our public facing subforums.

3 Likes

Boy howdy. I’m tall and tip the scales at > 250lb. Adjustable-height chairs are pointless for me - they need to adjust to maximum height and stay there. But not everyone has a 36" inseam so office chairs are as a rule adjustable with insufficiently-robust cylinders. So on about a yearly basis I find that the cylinder in my chair at work has gotten tired and have to go find another one in a vacant cube.

Between that and incorrigible cats sharpening their claws on upholstery, I have these chairs in my house, sitting in either for hours at a stretch when working from home:

The knockoffs of these that I see in restaurants are reasonably comfortable - and can be lifted with a finger.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be able to spot the difference because I don’t think I’ve ever seen a real one.
I believe we have a few in that style back in Laser and I kinda want to get one of my own.

I know your pain Sir,

I was lucky to get three screw lift office chairs from @Lampy when he left his office. Best money I’ve spent on an office chair probably ever! They were a fancy chair from back in the day, I forget the name. Might actually be Herman Miller?

But, could it survive being tossed from a 6 story building window? Here is a cool podcast on the Emeco Navy Chair, it’s history and the knock offs that have developed around it, https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/77-steps/

3 Likes

@Team_Moderators do you see any point in further discussion in this thread? The OP asked where to find the red chairs and that question has been answered. I think the merit of the red chairs has been discussed ad nauseum. If people want to talk back and forth about the chairs lets make that another discussion.

7 Likes

Thanks, I completely forgot about Opendesk and tend to think Ikea is the only thing around for furniture hacking.

That’s solve our issue with furnishing both SDC and VCC’s committee areas. Next stop Lumberyard then Laser cutter!!

1 Like