Does anyone know how to move the anchor point?

I figured for smaller objects or things that need to be exactly centered, it wold be much easier to put the anchor point in the center of the vector cut. I checked the website and the manual but wasn’t able to find an adequate answer…

…also while I’m bothering people about the laser, I also haven’t found how to change mm to inches, thanks!

1 Like

Oh man. I’m all ears if you figure out that mm to inches thing.

I ended up grabbing a piece of scrap, running the first couple of seconds of a cut on the scrap, then placing the piece over that spot, removing the scrap, and starting the job again. Finally got me what I needed.

Be sure to home the machine before all of that.

Clay,

It would probably help to know which laser(s) you are asking about. They all have different ways to approach things. :slight_smile:

Thanks!
:smiley:

I suspect Lasersaur. It was mm to inches that gave it away…

Thx…

It’s a good practice to be clear when asking about tools that we have more than one type of. As far as we know, he may be asking specifically about the Lasersaur, or he may be asking about all three of our printers - especially considering it was a multi-part question.

1 Like

Thunder has the mm to inches problem every now and then after a crash.

I know how to do both on thunder. No idea about the saur.

What problem? Mm is superior.

5 Likes

mm/25.4 will give you inches, btw.

2 Likes

Speaking for myself, it has more to do the using the grid overlay on the GUI and guesstimating where a cut will begin. If you want it to be exact, it’s gonna be hard. But even getting close is hard if you’ve spent a lifetime measuring inches.

I have two questions re: Lasuersaur.

1. When the bed is heavy with debris, may I lift the grid and clean it?
  2. Does anyone know the spacing on the grid? I’ll measure it next time I think about it, but it would be convenient if someone happened to know.

It’s an aluminum grid light cover. 1/2 inch spaces maybe? But that’s not useful considering they are bent to shit.

Just lift​ and vacuum, I just did this last night on the saur.

2 Likes

If your using RDWorks, the way to change the anchor point is with the “Config (S)” menu item, then click “System Setting” and you’ll see the heading “Laser Head” under which is a 3x3 matrix of radio buttons. Selecting the desired one will move the anchor point to the center, top left, whatever you want.

Hope that helps,

Phil

5 Likes

I meant the Thunder, but any information on any laser is useful to know, since like you said they are all different.

1 Like

Thank you very much for this answer. I had compromised by homing the laser at 0X/0Y and cutting a target 2 X/Y of cutting area out to control the point for smaller items, but thats not really practical for anything much bigger.

1 Like