Do you know this person? (Resolved)

It’s the same thing that keeps someone just letting their buddy in behind them every time. We run on the honesty policy. however, that only really works for the honest.

2 Likes

Even when we can identify people, we rarely hold them accountable.

2 Likes

I see. I come from a world, physical and technical security, where letting your buddy in behind you is okay, but they are expected to swipe their badge too and it’s completely okay to ask someone to show their badge if you don’t recognize them.

That’s unfortunate. Doing so would chase off the people who have no intention of being accountable or honest while reducing the workload for those who are accountable and honest and are cleaning up after the former.

1 Like

Being held accountable is done all the time at the space. If you set off the sawstop woodshop requires you to pay for another unless there is some kind if extenuating circumstance. I give one warning for violations and let you know that the second will result in actions. I have had to ban an individual for threatening someone and there are miles of conversations that you have no knowledge about because they were just between a couple of people. I’m not sure what you mean specifically by being held accountable.

1 Like

How about a secret handshake or nod for those of us that don’t want our non photogenic mug shop captured?
I don’t allow the modern healthcare community to take my picture - for their inconvenience, I have them ask for my I.D.

2 Likes

That’s called “DMS Culture” is it not? :smiley:

2 Likes

only if you are a special EE

3 Likes

poke-gif-18

4 Likes
  1. The five vehicles that have been parked in the back, well in excess of the 48 hour rule
  2. The extended period of time people were allowed to keep their food in the fridge.
  3. The stack of monitors that were left in the interactive class room
  4. The repeated instances of the same person consuming multiple tables in the workshop for days at a time.
  5. The unending list of members who fail to clean up after themselves.
  6. The current consumption of space in the common area for days awaiting 3d fab to manage their new purpose.
  7. The two folks in Arts thread mentioned above who failed to clean up after themselves, one of who has had multiple warnings about such behavior.
  8. A chair using DMS funds to purchase a tool, unrelated to their committee, for a personal project. Twice.
  9. The person who disrupted my last class in Electronics and started a verbal confrontation.
  10. The people who leave ‘donations’ without approval. Often meaning our volunteers have to dispose of junk.

I could go on, but I think that is a nice sample.

For a first offense, a ‘warning’ might be a consequence in rare occasions; however, it never is for the second, and frankly often isn’t for the first. If we gave warnings for every first offense, we would potentially have to deal with 1600+ first offenses for every potential rule violation. Further without records of those warnings, we have no way of knowing if it was the first offense.

Most of these issues have stopped after the person was spoken with and not one of these things are safety violations. I won’t remove someone for being annoying. I’d never have time to make anything :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

We do have a Members page on the Wiki, but it is woefully out of date.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Members

Have you considered that because we don’t enforce any consequences we keep having the problems we do with repeated offences.

Also, your having a private conversation, means there is no record of it, beyond your memory. So repeated offenses are not likely to be treated any different. For example, as I said one of the people Art flagged above has repeatedly failed to clean up after himself in multiple committee areas.

Did you ever provide Art the names of the two people you were going to talk to so that he can keep a record of who has been given a warning?

BTW, if as I said, if we have to issue warnings to every member for every ‘first’ offense we will always have such problems. However, if we provide a consequence (say a ban from committee area or space for some period of time) and PUBLICALLY enforce those punishments, perhaps we could get people to pay attention before we have to deal with 1600+ rule violations.

Further, If we are not going to enforce the rules you’ll shouldn’t be making them. As an example the towing of cars… According to @LukeStrickland we have had multiple vehicles parked out back for a month or so… That hasn’t stopped. And it seems the one in this thread has chosen to ignore his warning, again with no consequence for days after the warning.

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/whose-jalopy-is-this-tow-it/28741/36?u=wandrson

well this has degraded quickly.
As @artg_dms pointed out in one of his posts, the only disciplinary action the BoD and Chairs have is The Ban. While these are sometimes necessary, it shouldn’t be the only solution. I for one - for all my bluster - have not banned anyone although things do leave me rather pissed off at times. I’m starting to warm up to Art’s idea of a fine of some sort. That way if they don’t pay it, there is every justification of turning off their badge since they are not up to date on their account.

Why not? The ban can be anywhere from the remainder of the day to permanent one. This provides a range of punishment levels to deal with all degrees of violation.

It is also equitable since fines will adversely affect those with limited income while being laughed off by the more affluent.

A warning is unfair to the the rest of us who follow the rules and have to deal with the after effects of these inconsiderate people.

You are free to find another Makerspace if this one doesn’t suit you. Thank you for your input.

7 Likes

Damn Kris, am I rubbing off on you? :grinning:
and on that note - let’s lock this thread shall we.

4 Likes

You really posted this? Perhaps you should apply this to yourself the next time you want to argue about the behavior of Alex, Robert, or Brian?

I’m starting to understand why I hear so many people say they avoid Talk lol.

15 Likes

Walter you know I like you but you become so combative its very hard to listen to you gripe endlessly online. I don’t have a problem with the way things are run day to day at the space for the most part. Yes, we have a few issues and we deal with them as they pop up. But for the most part they are just mild annoyances. You make the proverbial mountain out of a molehill without constructive help. And posting a picture of an electric chair doesn’t count.

7 Likes

They aren’t ‘mild annoyances’ You and the board create rules, and then choose to ignore them as you see fit. So even though we have rules against the behavior we see an ever increasing number of violations.

And by your own words you believe leaving vehicles in the parking lot is a problem. Yet you do nothing about it. Your rule was clear as to what you were going to do. Yet it hasn’t been applied.

If something is only an annoyance it shouldn’t be against a rule.

And yes I have repeatedly offered suggestions as to how to deal with the problem, including in this thread. Start bans of increasing duration to deal with increasing levels of violations. Actually have the vehicles towed that you said you would.

The electric chair is an obvious joke, since I have no interest in jail time. In part it is a jab at those who feel that even identifying someone who broke a rule is a severe punishment–see above.