Do you know this person? (Resolved)

Multiple safety violations:
Notice the long loose hair - we know what can happen.
open Long sleeves - Nope.
running the lathe with no safety glasses.
This person needs to NOT return to the machine shop.

Notice the open toed shoes - definate no no.

Make this a picture for every class to point out what’s wrong.

I bet the person hasn’t taken training on the machine either.

@Robert_Davidson Where are we at on RFID lockouts? Machine Shop would really like to get these to prevent people like this from hurting themselves and DMS.

This gentleman never used the machine. He was in the shop cleaning it. He cleaned and oiled more than one machine. I overheard him later telling Kee he felt like it was his duty to help out.

9 Likes

thank you @Kriskat30. If so, then he has our thanks.
But I would still like to see a shoe change in the shop.

2 Likes

As a brand-new, and I mean I’ll be coming tonight to do the orientation brand new. This kind of thing bothers me. What I mean is publicly shaming an individual without the full context of what actually happened. In this case it sounds like a single still was pulled by the Committee Chairperson and the worst was immediately assumed (from a safety perspective I understand that, my first instinct would be to call someone who is at the space to find out if this really is what’s going on before publicly shaming the person, Edit: and before the person can hurt themselves).

This is the second chairperson I’ve seen do this within a week and not have the entire picture of what happened (Previous issue was ELab - Stuff Left Out where a member was accused of breaking something and not telling anyone, which was later incorrect. Still doesn’t excuse the not putting things back where they belong issue). It makes me wonder just how bad the problems are at DMS that negative intentions are assumed right away.

In this case the individual is still wearing open-toed shoes which is a big no-no.

However after seeing @Kriskat30’s reply it bothers me that the worst seems to be assumed.

8 Likes

then please hurry up and become a chair and you can deal with this and WORSE stuff. I don’t need to make excuses for my actions. Safety is Job 1. and if someone gets butt hurt because of a safety violation being pointed out, then deal with it. The shoes and no safety glasses were enough to have him ejected despite the good intentions (by anyone). Read our shop rules.

But I will reach out and thank him if I see him.

1 Like

Welcome to DMS! Keep in mind volunteers are rare and people ignoring safety rules are common. So yes, the default setting seems a bit much but it is based on years worth of observational data :smile:

6 Likes

Oiling machine equipment properly is not a straightforward activity. For instance we used to have a second Bridgeport that was effectively ruined when someone with the best intentions thought it was a good idea to inject grease into the oil ports.

The bottom line is oiling isn’t something to be done by someone without checking with chair.

3 Likes

Very Very close.

Though woodshop was going first on the saws though I could likely get yall 1 High Voltage and I have some low voltage ones thats are in assembly right ow.

Robert

Everyone handles issues in their own way. As chair of the Machine shop Nick can choose to do this anyway he deems necessary. Safety is one of our first considerations at DMS. There have been a few who have caused concern with their safety and I think this is where the important part of Nicks message should be viewed. I see his post as a concern for this gentleman’s safety. I may have worded it a bit differently but as I said, Nick has the say in Machine shop.

3 Likes

Fantastic! Thanks for the update.

I apologize if my initial message came off as a disagreement to how it was handled. I was more attempting to illicit a conversation and fill in some blanks. Yes, it bothers me but that could be due to a lack of information. If this is how DMS does it, then it still bothers me, but I at least know what to expect.

@nicksilva - I’m in no way disagreeing with you. I’ve read the rules. I’ve been very through in my research of DMS before joining the group. I’m also aware that DMS likes to say “Be excellent to each other.” … My concern was and remains, do these violations happen so much and in such severity that our volunteers / chair people will automatically assume negative intentions more often than not? Not you in particular but more in general.

@jphelps - Thank you for the welcome, and fair enough.

@wandrson - From what I’ve been able to gather, a member shouldn’t do maintenance on a tool until they’ve been trained to do maintenance on a tool. (Generally separate from the training for usage of the tool).

@Kriskat30 - Sounds good. This was more of a generalization and question than a disagreement. I was am and in no-way was trying to discount the safety message @nicksilva was conveying or question @nicksilva’s authority. The delivery mechanism is what I was curious / concerned about, how frequent of an occurrence is it that DMS leadership/membership jump to negative conclusions before having the entire picture and how that affects the image of the space. As well as, is this the most efficient and effective way to communicate an immediate safety issue? Is there a better way to audit / check on what’s going on to prevent an immediate safety issue?

Maybe I’m being idealistic, but I feel like there’s a better way for everyone.

4 Likes

I have one question for you: If we don’t know who the person is, how else is there to identify them?

Do you know all 1,670 members names by sight, if so, we can forward photos to you for ID and avoid publicly trying to ID. If not, what is your effective alternative? This was posted as a possible safety violation, not a mess or tool left out. Machine Shop is aggressively trying to instill a “Culture of Safety” that means when suspected breaches occur it will be investigated. Feel free to attend tonight’s Machine Shop committee meeting to express your alternatives - we truly welcome the input. But the committee is very biased towards safety - so offer an effective solution.

Is it “Being Excellent” when members allow suspected unsafe acts to be performed? What responsibility do all members have for keeping DMS safe? Or is there something more important than member safety?

4 Likes

Safety doesn’t mean crucifying potential offenders without first making sure they’re actually offenders.

As for a better solution, how about posting something along the lines of “Does anyone know this person, I have some safety concerns I’d like to discuss with them.” The tone and intention of such a post signifies a leader who is willing to listen, understand, and realizes they don’t have the whole story but rather a snapshot of time that is contextually meaningless.

13 Likes

I gathered identification was one issue based on the topic, with that being said, how do we effectively track usage without RFID lockouts, and even in this case, the RFID lockout wouldn’t have prevented the member from walking around without eye protection and open toed shoes. If most members keep their RFID tokens on them, my immediate thought would be to use an RFID portal at the entrances for the various shops, partner that with a photo tied to the RFID tag for the member, and it becomes easier to identify a member since reader times could be correlated with camera times.

I understand the bias towards safety. I participate in IDPA where a single severe error (edit example: negligent discharge in the wrong direction) could result in multiple people being hurt and/or dying. This is why we have countermeasures in place and we routinely revise our countermeasures to prevent safety issues.

which is why I am asking the questions, is this the most effective way and is there a more effective way, that while not perfect, is feasible and could help significantly.

2 Likes

Or we could just invest in some facial recognition software.

And then we would need a database of members faces to compare it against. I suggest you propose that at the next board meeting.

5 Likes

You do realize that no member photo was attached to the breakage. The only member photos shown in that thread were those where we had video record that they failed to clean up after themselves. Seems perfectly valid, particularly since one of those shown has committed the offense multiple times, has been talked to about it, and still shows contempt for others by leaving messes for them to clean up.

Hang around for awhile, and you will realize that we do have a problem with people routinely leaving messes, breaking rules, ignoring safety procedures, and even stealing. Until we have some ‘private’ way to identify folks, we will continue to need “Do you know this person threads”?

5 Likes

Sharing a quick story to get a point across…a gentleman helped out in Science one day and sanded down some rough patches on the wall. He ended up making a mess of fine powder all over the counter and beakers. So the chair of science and I washed them and it took a bit of time to do so. The mans intent was generous however it made a lot of work to clean up. I suggested that the chair speak to him and let him know a list of jobs he could do in science that would be the most help. Perhaps a listing of job and volunteer opportunities could be listed somewhere in the shop or on each committee. I believe we talked about something similar in the last board meeting.

7 Likes

Makes sense.

It honestly surprises me that we don’t have members take identification photos when they join. I was expecting to take one tonight. That makes me raise the question, what keeps a member from handing someone else their access token and getting into the space with it if there’s no picture tied to the access token? It certainly wouldn’t stop someone but random audits here and there could deter that kind of a problem.

I think having a face to a name to an access token would help deter theft and bad behavior. It’s also not a terribly intensive process. That and a camera at face height when walking in and out of the space. That’s the new practice in most loss-prevention. Face height cameras are extremely difficult to duck away / hide from and ofter clear views of the face unlike birds-eye cameras.

Edit: It sounds like we’re starting to get to the root of a problem, and that being without the ability to identify someone easily, we cant easily hold them accountable.