Do you have any the 6 discontinued Dr. Seuss books?

Oh that naughty Seuss was bad,
those horrible books I wish I had.
On Amazon, you’ll see
a capitalist melee
*Cancelled they may be"
… *But they are far from free!"

If so, get them away from the kids. Look them up on Amazon. Prices ranged from a low of $500 - $1,800.

I think I can still recite One fish, two fish by heart to this day.

3 Likes

Those six are relatively obscure. The only one I may have read was the zoo one.

2 Likes

Man. Excuse me as I hit some thrift shelfs.

3 Likes

We had the Mulberry Street one when our kids were young but it wasn’t a fave so it went to donation when we moved.

My dad probably has 2-3 of them, they had a book subscription service when my half sister was a baby, that sent out most of the dr seuss books over time. I don’t recognize a few, so i am guessing the book service thought they were a problem back then. Unless they actually cleaned and donated them somewhere.

Dr Seuss wrote over 60 books, including the ones under the pseudomyns Theophrastus Seuss , Theo LeSieg , and Rosetta Stone

Here is the message from the company found for care for his legacy:

Statement from Dr. Seuss Enterprises

March 2, 2021

Today, on Dr. Seuss’s Birthday, Dr. Seuss Enterprises celebrates reading and also our mission of supporting all children and families with messages of hope, inspiration, inclusion, and friendship.

We are committed to action. To that end, Dr. Seuss Enterprises, working with a panel of experts, including educators, reviewed our catalog of titles and made the decision last year to cease publication and licensing of the following titles: And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street, If I Ran the Zoo, McElligot’s Pool, On Beyond Zebra!, Scrambled Eggs Super!, and The Cat’s Quizzer. These books portray people in ways that are hurtful and wrong.

Ceasing sales of these books is only part of our commitment and our broader plan to ensure Dr. Seuss Enterprises’s catalog represents and supports all communities and families.

2 Likes

I have this one: A Hatful of Seuss. Bought it on a discount table at what was then Walden Books. It was published in 1996.

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Seuss-Hatful-Favorite-Stories/dp/B00HTK14L8/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=a+hatful+of+seuss&qid=1614888660&sr=8-1

It is hardback and contains the story: “If I ran the zoo.” It is currently selling on Amazon for $500.

This is crazy since I paid less than $3.00 for it years ago.

My wife thinks we may have several others, too since she was in a Dr. Seuss book club when my son was little.

That’s why I posted the article, there has to be a lot of those books out there as a lot of us were raised and learned to read Seuss books. Glad you found some treasure.

Cancel Culture :zipper_mouth_face:

“What a bunch of moroons”

The next think they will cancel is Mr. Rogers because his cardigan sweater was made out of virgin wool. You do know where they get virgin wool from? It’s from the sheep that runs the fastest. Makes you sort of wonder where they get virgin olive oil from. It’s probably next on the cancel culture’s hit list anyway.

1 Like

When the discussion turns to how the cartoon rapey guy who won’t take no for an answer deserves more screen time, I know it’s time to mute the topic.

9 Likes

I mean, I wish I could get new print of the original Zany Afternoons, however the “Stewardesses of the Emerging Nations” feature in the original print was deemed unsuitable for publication when it was reprinted 17 years later … in 1999.

Thus - like fans of the handful of Dr Seuss books that have simply gone out of print - I’ll need to shop the used market and likely pay a premium if I’m determined to get a copy.

11 Likes

I.E. Americana!
Freedom of expression about things one does not like.
And Capitalism with free markets in play. Dollars doing the speaking.

But to be clear, Dr Seuss was not “cancelled”, whatever definition of Cancel one wants. It was private enterprise reading their market and matching their product to it. So they removed 6 books from their offerings of 60. That’s Capitalism and Smith’s invisible hand made public

2 Likes

If not, you can always just buy the ebook and read it again in seconds: https://www.amazon.com/One-Fish-Blue-Beginner-Books-ebook/dp/B00ESF274U

Eh… the right wants to do it to Twitter and Facebook… You can’t have it both ways.

Hell, even I knew that rape weasel was disturbing back when I was a teen. Besides, not getting added to a movie does not equal cancel culture. Wait until every cartoon he’s in has been pulled from publication and syndication.

4 Likes

I gather Warner Brothers has pulled Pepe and a number of other Looney Tunes characters/segments from syndication, but will sell them to you on freshly-pressed physical media (and perhaps on subscription streaming service) unedited save for a preceding statement about how they’re a product of their time and contain material that’s no longer considered acceptable.

Indeed. It appears pepe hasn’t had his own feature since 1962 and hasn’t had a bit part since 2015. He only appeared 22 times between 1962 and 2015. So he was well on his way out long ago. So much so that no one seems to remember that in 2010 Mike Myers was going to voice him in a movie but it never went to production because no one cared about seeing pepe le pew

https://movieweb.com/mike-myers-is-pepe-le-pew/

Lol, yeah, the cat in the hat, one fish, two fish, and all the cool ones that were in oldest kiddos Dr. Seuss book club are still in print.

2 Likes

“Freedom Fries,” The Dixie Chicks and Colin Kaepernick would like a word about Cancel Culture as well.

4 Likes

Don’t forget Ellen Degeneres and her wonderful experience with ABC/Disney, Christian Right, and Hollywood.

2 Likes