Do you choropleth? with zip codes?

I’m having a hell of time trying to find a simple way to plot population statistics through zip code data. I found a project that steps you through how to make this:

but the data source is dated. I can’t find a free source of a digital zip code map that works with the project’s python code. Does anybody have a friendly, free and simple way of doing this in any language?

I’m hoping there will be some useful insights into DMS’s Meetup’s freely available public metadata. That was my original intent for learning choroplething but now I’m just looking forward to hitting it off parties!!!

What questions are you trying to answer?

check r/dataisbeautiful for any faq readmes?

1 Like

Several zip code demographic sources on data.gov:

https://catalog.data.gov/dataset?tags=zip-code

1 Like

Personally I’d use plot.ly, numpy, and datasets from data.gov.

I’d like to see if any hard boundaries exist for where the Meetup membership drops off across the metroplex, and do the same after dividing the number of Meetup members per zip code by total population per zip code.

Also, do the above but for members with a specific interest like “Woodworking” or “Electronics” to see if any niche pockets of interest exist in a certain area. I hope this information provides our teachers, event organizers, and PR out-reachers with insights to optimize their efforts and time.

Plus, who doesn’t have a rockin’ time looking at a good map!?!
Marker, Zip, Number of Meetup Members
A, 75006, 367
B, 75201, 291
C, 75287, 141
D, 75001, 126
E, 75023, 124
F, 75080, 117
G, 75062, 99

In which case zip code is a means to an end. It’s a means to get “rough distance from”. In the case of zip code it’s not a particularly good choice because of the shapes and sizes of zip code regions.

Did you decide against using latitude / longitude?

I’m having trouble getting anything from the first two links for given on the page - with my firewall on or off. Am I being thick about something?

Navigating to the second link does not return this?

<error xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2007/08/dataservices/metadata">
<code>Unauthorized</code>
<message xml:lang="en-US">
Access was denied. You may have entered your credentials incorrectly, or you might not have access to the requested resource or operation.
</message>
</error>

That’s what I get. I’ve downloaded the Power BI app and have new issues though… I don’t think Power BI is the way I want to go with this project but will circle back if all else fails.

I’d really like to get raw shape or xml files for the maps and think I’d be able to take it from there.

Zip code map, distance map… I’d like to be able to do it all easily for any analysis or query and have the option to show either or both.

I think zip code maps, in some cases, might show more useful information than straight-up distances because zip codes are made for traffic routes than how the crow flies. Anyhoos, I’m going to make a distance map first before returning to trying to find and incorporate the zip code data.

Lats & Lons. Still developing some presentation aspects of it but getting closer.

2 Likes