Do y'all want a (2kw) laser?

We’ve got a c02 2kw rofin laser. It works, but it’s old and big and heavy, and we don’t use it anymore. We’ve been trying to sell it on ebay, but without success.

If anybody wants it, and is willing to come get it, you can have it for free!

We’re nearby in Farmer’s Branch. It weighs 2000lbs, so you’ll need a forklift or at least some ingenuity. Also note, it needs 480v 3 phase and a big chiller to work.

2 Likes

@Team_Laser

1 Like

@Team_Metal_Shop

2 Likes

Do you have a model # etc?

1 Like

If I recall CO2 lasers are about 10% efficient so that 2kW laser is going to want 20kW of input power.

3 Likes

Given that our existing fiber laser will still need more setup once the power is installed, got anymore information about it? Wavelength / cut abilities, fiber coupled or mirror based, bed size, control requirements, etc?

2 Likes

It draws 60 amps at 480v
It’s co2 so, mirror based, not fiber. We used it for our experimental powder coating technique.

1 Like

It doesn’t have a bed or heads or anything. It’s just the laser.

Wrt control requirements, it’s got the control cabinet. Also a ±10v analog input to control the power output. I think that’s it.

60A @ 480V is ~28kW, which seems like it would represent significant electrical upgrades unless it was on a shared circuit with something else - i.e. plasma cutter, welder - with a prominent and foolproof A/B switch.

We actually already have enough power slated for install in the metal shop as part of the 104-side electrical upgrades. That’s what the 480 transformer over by the electrical room is for.

In all seriousness this looks stupid dangerous and I believe would require a full enclosure.

3 Likes

Can confirm, this thing is dangerous. We keep it in our laser room. When the laser is on, nobody goes into the room without proper eyewear.

Also keep fingers clear of the focused beam. It will cut them off, weld them back on, and cauterize the wound simultaneously.

2 Likes

I thought of the same scene. Just need the aerospace/rc SIG to build a plane big enough to carry it, and form @team_giant_jiffy_pop. :smiley:

6 Likes

4 Likes

DMS now offering DIY tattoo removal…

We just left out the part in which it removes said part of the body that has the tattoo.

It’s obviously sarcasm, dont take it as real.

3 Likes

Removes walls from tough stains.

10 Likes

I also want to try my hand a DIY lasik.

2 Likes

Well that will certainly get the job done in one sitting!