Do we have this tool?

I need a tool to grind bevels into knives. Do we have one or do I have to buy one or can I try to free hand one?

Do you know what this tool looks like??

We have belt sanders and grinders if that’s what you’re looking for.

We have a 2 x 72 belt grinder (training required) in the metal shop. It has attachments to do that.

I believe he is talking about a knife bevel jig.

We don’t have a knife beveling jig for the KMG Grinder. You can make an extremely simple one by ripping a long, fairly wide block of wood with the 1/2 angle of the bevel you’d like. A 10” 2x2 is a good starting point for a 7” blade. You want the jig longer than the blade, though the tang can hang off the end.

PNG

So, for a pocket knife (or camp knife)you might choose 14 degree half angle for a robust 28 degree bevel on your knife.

Once cut, place the wood large side up with your blank against the bevel with the blade edge up. Hold the bottom flat against the platten base and move the blank along the belt to cut the bevel. Flip to grind the other side, holding the unbeveled part of the beveled side against the jig.

If you cut a full bevel, you’d need a 2nd jig cut at the full (not half) angle to get the 2nd side right.

2 Likes