Do we have hose clamps?

Hi everyone,

I want to turn a segmented bowl and was wondering if the makerspace had hose clamps I can use to hold everything together during the glue up. I didn’t see any beside all the other clamps.

Thanks!
Michael

@Team_Automotive has had hose clamps in the past, however I recall they were of smaller diameter suitable for the likes of radiator hoses and may not be a routine stock item.

Okay. Should I just use masking tape?

I’m in no position to advise on that.

@wizlog, I think the clamps you are thinking of are known as band clamps.

Masking tape could work, but it won’t provide any compression, and if you get any slack when applying it, then you may get movement in your glue-up.

Another option I’ve seen used is large rubber bands.

1 Like

This is a great idea, do they stick to squeeze out glue?

They can. When I saw them used, the woodworker didn’t care because he wasn’t relying on being able to save them, and any residue was going to come off during the turning.

Blue tape will work for this…is a somewhat standard solution, in fact. @job4goodman?

Also: Trading osage orange for a segmented bowl jig

Malcolm Tibbetts (IMO the master of segmented turning) also advises that duct tape and/or rubber bands can be used. He sometimes uses small blocks of waste wood affixed with hot glue to prevent the rubber bands from slipping off.

FWIW, if you don’t already have it, this particular book is fabulous - for beginners or experts alike. He offers so many practical and useful tips, including the oh-so-critical sanding for joining the pieces.

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Yeah, I wouldn’t go with tape. I often use a band clamp or rubber bands. I agree with Chris, Malcolm Tibbetts is a master of segmented turning and has a series of DVDs that go from the basics to some really WA stuff. Jerry Bennett also has some great beginner videos, which include making a tablesaw sled. (see the link in the thread Marshall references).

I’d start small. I started with some project articles from Wood Magazine, which provide step-by-step instructions with a lot of hidden tips & tricks. I even did a wedge design as an intro and I liked it enough that I ended up making three.

Jeff

3 Likes