Do we have a use for 22ga White prepainted aluminum scrap

I would like some. I’ve remembered that our bending project in Industrial Processes was a recipe card box. I could find/make some templates, and have a box-bending class. Plus I’ve got a use for nifty metal boxes.

1 Like

I’m leaning towards bringing it in monday night. Give committee chairs a week to get anything they can use out of it, metal shop gets first pick. Woodshop second. if we have room to store it we can ask for a small donation when someone needs some of it, if not then we can let people take what they can use.

That is a good idea. We have the spot welder in metal shop we can spot weld them together.

1 Like

Beth it would be great for small boxes, probably need to rivet it. CDC products has small loose rivets, I have several rivet set tools

Yeah – we used rivets to hinge the top.

That protective film is unlikely to be laser safe, but if the paint is, I can imagine many uses for it.

Since I can’t find the more current thread mentioning this…

I noticed the last time I was at the space that the wind has apparently abused the white corroplast I had used to make the sign by the main door.

The previous thread made mention of using this to make new signage. I presume referring to replacing the ragged/no-longer-firmly-attached corroplast? I would be happy to volunteer to do the vinyl portion of the signage if someone (@rlisbona? @TBJK? @Team_Metal_Shop?) could cut the metal to fit.

We have a second sign frame-thingie for a sign down by the “not for prime-time-entry” door - that I just never got made, because, well, vinyl computer issues… But presumably, with NEW VINYL COMPUTER I can do the vinyl for both signs at the same time.

Pretty sure 18" x 24" is the dimensions - but wouldn’t hurt to double-check.

1 Like

The more recent thread..

Go for it!

I don’t know if the white aluminum is still in the building. It may have gotten tossed. I haven’t searched for it but its not by the shear and metal brake where I left it.

As of Wednesday morning, It was by the shear/brake on the shelf

2 Likes

Cool. I didn’t look at the shelves

So… Randy… Pretty please with sugar on top? I’m gonna be at the space most of the day, so can mark cut lines on appropriate scrap piece(s) if that would help.

@jrkriehn I don’t understand the question. If you need material for a committee project go ahead and take it.

@rlisbona I think we both missed this part of the ask; I’m not sure if I’ll be in today or tomorrow but if it’s not done before I am I’m glad to help.

1 Like

I marked up the cut on the two pieces. And put both on the shelf above the sheet metal thing to the left of the pile of long skinny pieces. (Dunno if its a brake or a shear)

I can probably manage the hole drilling portion of the equation.

1 Like

These would be great for signs to label all the rooms (ducks to avoid hail of vegetables)

But for that to happen, people would have to agree on room names. Despite the fact that they have “common” names, there are those that think they should be more consistent. Like named after Texas rivers. Which they did at my old office. But the colloquial names were the only ones any of us could remember. For example, one conference room had a window that angled out 45 degrees from the vertical part of the wall, so it resembled the bridge from a starship. It was christened the Star Wars Room soon after we moved into the building, but later the river theme came into play. I think it was officially changed to “Sabine Room”, but all us old people still referred to it as the Star Wars Room.

I thought there was already a map with all the room names printed on it? and class room / room reservations are a thing there are designated names? Seems overcomplicated to think past that. they’re just names so people can know where to go.

or just room numbers, seems simple enough

1 Like

Wrong sign thought. I made the sign outside by the main entry with corroplast. Recently, I noticed that it has been abused by wind, and is currently held in place with a single zip tie. I am upgrading the substrate to more wind-resistant (i hope) sheet metal.

I need to update the committee location map. Thanks for reminder…

Edit:
Oops. Realized you were responding to different random comment.

When I have asked about putting signage up that lists room name in the past, it invariable devolved into debates about signage meeting ADA requirements, whether all the rooms should have a name convention (my reference to rivers), what to call a soon-to-be-vacated space, blah-blah-blah.

If it were up to me, we’d expand the color names, and color code the furniture to match the appropriate room, so when it gets “borrowed” for an event in a different area, it would be easy to tell where it belongs.

But then again, there was a broken chair sitting in interactive for months. Last time I was in, there was a sign taped to it saying “dumpster.” I found that perplexing, because finding paper, sharpie and tape would take me a lot longer than taking it to the dumpster…

Btw. I rolled it to the dumpster and wrassled it inside. No mean feat considering I’m not tall enough to reach the lids on top, so I had to inch it through one of those side openings.

4 Likes