Do we have a group that meets for creative writing/authors?

I have a friend who wants to join the makerspace if we have a writing group.

There have been several attempts at doing this. The last attempt ended about a year ago.

The difficulty was not a large group and getting enough people to consistently show up was the problem. I was part of the group. Is was a good group, but too small to sustain.

If you want to try, set the first one up as Event or claendar, get with PR and have it advertised on FB and Meet-up as well as anywhere else you want to get the word. If enough people show, then schedule it.

The last group basically you write on any subject. To attend, you were required to provide up to 5 pages and everyone there would critique and give back to you with their comments. The feeling was “If you want to critique, you have have to share something.” Your group can do whatever format they want.

I was in a group in Arlington and we met every two weeks, about 15 out of a group of maybe 25 regulars. Can;t see why that isn’t possible at DMS. Event could be open to non-members.

1 Like

In that vein, something that I had been considering, but never really looked into, is the possibility of getting local authors to come speak at the space. If we get this off of the ground, I think that it would be a great thing to attract people

I’m really glad to see this subject come up again! I haven’t been asking about it - it seems like the priority for DMS is and should be the hands-on tools-and-supplies subjects (cuz really, you can run a writing group just about anywhere.)

But writers organizations are seriously my jam, and I would be happy to help one grow at DMS if there’s demand for it. I head up Writers Organizations 'Round Dallas, and right now we’ve got about 35 groups under our umbrella. I guarantee 80% of them would give their eyeteeth for a space as fantastic as we have at DMS.

In fact, the Carrollton League of Writers has been growing by leaps and bounds this year - they run both critique and program/speaker-type meetings (like what you’re talking about, @zacharymarkson) and I’ve been hugely impressed with their momentum. They’d probably like to upgrade out of the back room of Marshall’s BBQ, too. Holler if that’s something we ever want to meditate on after expansion madness dies down!

3 Likes

I’m in for 4 to 5 months if you make a go of it again.

I’m keeping an eye on this as I’d like to start writing again. I already know from the last group that we have several talented writers here.

1 Like

as an update, a local author whom i like just posted this: http://www.drewhayesnovels.com/media/?fbclid=IwAR2nkX20IseebVpNAE1HHsACEm5F6XCjbgzyqqa8ChK0UJCnvGy2yz27sEE

1 Like