Do we have a digital media meetup, so to speak, at DMS?

Is there a digital media group meeting at DMS. My interests - prosumer video and audio production:

• video equip
  • audio equip
  • lighting
  • studio setup
  • mobile setup
  • post production using Adobe CC
  • general strategies for producing content

I have a wife and two kids in the business and have a variety of equipment I’m organizing and playing with. I also have ideas for what I want to produce. Love sharing, learning and helping with this stuff.

I hope this is not a repeat post. I posted this in the description of the digital media category but I believe that thread does not get put into visibility.

This is the only one I’m aware of.
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/13626
I’m not sure it’s what you’re looking for, but it might be a decent place to start.

Yes we meet every month.
Right now we’re trying last Saturday of month at 2pm

We vote on things
Propose new things
Discuss things
Share what things we’ve done.

This months main tolics
Grants we’ve applied for
The audio booth construction plans
Photography setups
Getting more workstations
Furniture and organization
Major push for teaching classes

Hope to see you there. Let me know if the time doesn’t work and we will have meeting minutes available or you can just stop by whenever

1 Like

Great. Thanks.
Interested in discussing

• Equipment and setup for video production - lighting, cameras, recorders, sound
  • Post production in Adobe CC
  • Storage of digital media (managing the large volume of data) - NAS, backup drives, cloud
1 Like

I’d be interested in an electronic music creator meetup …

1 Like

Here (on Talk) isn’t a bad place to discuss these things either.

These things / discussions are my day job, so I can officially be on talk and not just screwing around :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure anything can be discussed on talk.
Ideas worked out.
Let it rip.

But things get voted on in meetings.

OK, Adam, you asked for it! :grinning:

Seriously, thank you, we appreciate your expertise.

Well, as a start, what do you do for storage? I have noted that shooting, for ex, 3 cameras at 100 to 200 MBPS plus a few audio tracks can lay down nearly 0.25 TB in an hour. That adds up quickly. Then add rough cuts, various versions and the final cut of a video and you are eating up a bunch of storage space.

Then to complicate matters, I can’t transmit that data at my lousy internet speed so I’m making copies on cheap external drives to carry with me for editing or to give to those who I can recruit to edit. Then I must move the data to my computer to edit since those ext drives are rather slow (although I have a few ext SSD that have improved this issue). Next, the ‘final’ work or (often) half done work (waiting on intros, graphics, etc) needs to find its way back to some home base for future work, or reference or revision.

So as a result, multiple copies of things are moving around and it becomes a mess. Any thoughts on this? This isn’t my day job but it’s turned into quite an activity.

So there is the concept of redundancy +/- backup and so forth.

We have ~24TB of storage mounted @ DMS with another probably 100TB laying around. Not to mention premier pro on these computers in Digital Media with a 1000 MBPS link to them in RAID array servers.

I’m also looking at 160/260TB of SSD storage with 40GBPS links
Redundancy, deduplication, streaming, backup are all seamlessly done in the background.

Have you ever looked at the Member storage drive on the computers or the temp drive?

So, my expertise is really in larger systems, and it’s really dependent on what your penchant is for spending $$$.

For the average home/small business user, a RAID5 disk set with 4 or more drives in it is going to be your best bet. USB-C is the most common connection for systems these days, but USB3 or Thunderbolt are options as well. If you have a PC then you can go SATA.

With 4x 12TB drives, you’ll end up with about 36TB usable and at least a modicum of redundancy for drive failure. A lot of my customers keep a spare drive sitting around in case one fails, so that they have an immediate swap-out. These little boxes (filled with drives) start at about $1500 and go up from there. Both editing speed and some protection in a single box.

If what you’re looking for is cold storage, for data that you doubt that you’ll ever touch again, or backup (NOT Archive though) something like Amazon Glacier is a decent solution. Just watch out for restore charges. Otherwise, there are hardware solutions for data storage such as Sony’s ODA system, or LTO that uses data tape still. These make for good, large volume storage of video, but we are talking ‘decent used car’ price points here.

Moving data around is a big challenge still. I have multiple systems that can solve all these issues, sharing media realtime over the internet, with links back to master clips that reside on your local storage, but we’re breaking into 6 digit prices here…

Using SSD drives for moving data around is still pretty popular. You can look at transcoding down to low-res files, which are much easier to transport over the web, but that takes lots of horsepower/time to do so, plus can create workflow/relinking headaches for sure.

2 Likes

I get the feeling that he’s looking for his own needs, not necessarily at DMS.

You can remote into the network and server.

You can also get 2TB of google drive for $10 a month and have your folder synch with it for backup.

My favorite One Drive for business Plan 2 for $10 month claims unlimited space.
They initially provision you with 26TB on a sharepoint server but you can request more.

For the average home/small business user, a RAID5 disk set with 4 or more drives in it is going to be your best bet. USB-C is the most common connection for systems these days, but USB3 or Thunderbolt are options as well. If you have a PC then you can go SATA.

The thought crossed my mind. Is there a difference between an NAS box and a RAID drive? A friend has a Drobo NAS and it’s really cool but not inexpensive by the time you populate it. And then there is the question - This is a bit redundant but technically not backup, is it?

That is, a fire or theft could hurt you. So if you have, say, 20T of NAS or RAID then you need that much (or more? maybe if your B/U is doing incremental backups).

I bought a couple of 8TB Costco external drives at $129. This is my thought although I just got them and haven’t done it yet. Tell me if this makes any sense at all.

I’ll stick one Costoco 8TB drive (call it Costco1) on my old not-suitable-for-editing-Imac where I will put all Adobe CC projects inclusive of clips. I will run the other 8TB drive as backup with Time Machine backup and select that drive only for backup. I have a 2015 MB pro what is pretty fair at running CC. I have a folder on the MB ‘adobe’ that has folders for my projects. I’ll put that on the backup scheme as well to the same B/U drive on the Imac. However, I need to move the raw data to the MB to work with it. I have tried and SSD works well. Maybe I’ll just keep it on SSD while working a project but it’s a pain as I move around a lot an prefer to move it to the machine for working on it. So maybe I’ll put the clips in the MB in another folder such as ‘adobe clips’ so it won’t be backed up a second time. Then I’ll edit and work on projects on the MB. When done, move the completed project to Costco1 and purge the clips from the MB.

In theory,

• the original clips will always be stored and backed up
  • the ongoing Adobe project du jour will be backed up by Time Machine incrementally whenever I can sync with the mother ship
  • the clips won’t get doubly backed up
  • the final Adobe Premiere, After Effects and such project files will be ‘archived’ and backed up when they get transferred back to Costco1

My concern might be that to re-edit a project, I might scramble references to file locations with all the moving around in the event that I had to move the project back to the MB Pro. But I imagine that if I simply put the files back in their original ‘adobe’ and ‘adobe clips’ folders then all would work. Might have to just give this a trial run.

Keep in mind that Costco1 is sort of luke warm storage but that’s OK since I won’t be working off that drive except for archive. I moved some things around on it the other day. It’s slow although it is USB class 3. But the price is right.

This brings up another random thought . . . would only be suitable for archive because it would be slow

Is there an app that allows one to create a RAID array from external USB drives? For ex, get a USB hub, put it on your Imac. Grab some cheap external USB drives. Plug into the hub. Let the app create your RAID drive.

With 4x 12TB drives, you’ll end up with about 36TB usable and at least a modicum of redundancy for drive failure. A lot of my customers keep a spare drive sitting around in case one fails, so that they have an immediate swap-out. These little boxes (filled with drives) start at about $1500 and go up from there. Both editing speed and some protection in a single box.

Would this be a RAID drive or NAS . . . or as I mentioned is there a difference . … sorry for repeat question.

If what you’re looking for is cold storage, for data that you doubt that you’ll ever touch again, or backup (NOT Archive though) something like Amazon Glacier is a decent solution. Just watch out for restore charges. Otherwise, there are hardware solutions for data storage such as Sony’s ODA system, or LTO that uses data tape still. These make for good, large volume storage of video, but we are talking ‘decent used car’ price points here.

Using SSD drives for moving data around is still pretty popular. You can look at transcoding down to low-res files, which are much easier to transport over the web, but that takes lots of horsepower/time to do so, plus can create workflow/relinking headaches for sure.

Transcoding. I read about it and it’s cool that you could do that.
Is this the idea?

• Create a low res version of your clips.
  • Somehow link them to the originals in an Adobe project file on the ‘home’ computer, I imagine.
  • Ship off the low res stuff or carry it with you and do the editing in low res up to the final project.
  • Sync the project file back to the central computer with the ‘mother project’.
  • Render the final cut using the local original clips on the master computer.

Agree!!! Might work but there could be some major headaches if you could not relink the clips. I did try to work around this once a few months ago in my own way. I rendered a few of clips to low res. Made a test project and did some editing with a multicam sequence. Then I tried replacing the low res clips with the originals in the same location with the same name. Premiere did not like this approach. :anguished:

Kevin,
That sounds like not a bad deal if you can upload at any reasonable speed! My lousy ATT is 0.1MBPS upload. When I complain to them they say they only guarantee download speed. Thanks a lot.
I work at some hospitals that have awesome up and down but they have recently throttled this for everyone. Thank you Baylor! Pleasure working there. In addition to firewalling any useful website on your employee WiFi and recently shutting down access to my security cameras thru your network - it’s now more and more fun to work there!

NAS - Network Attached Storage - generally a single hard drive OR RAID array that you access over a LOCAL computer network (inside your house or office).

RAID - Redundant Array (of) Independent Disks - A disk drive protection scheme that uses one or more disks out of a bunch, to back each other up.

DAS - Direct attached storage (USB/SATA/SAS or what have you) storage that is only plugged into a single computer. Sometimes with RAID protection.

I’m suggesting that a DAS with RAID is probably best for your needs.

DROBO - Use caution. They don’t have the best reliability ratings, and they are not real friendly when it comes to rebuilds of datasets either. Proprietary nonsense stuff.

A fire or theft is going to hurt unless you have backups that are not affected no matter what. A RAID is generally going to give you a safety factor against hard drive failure only.

8TB single drives are fine. Right up until the point that they fail. Then your data is gone (you can TRY to get them restored, but that’s usually thousands of $$$). Your plan to use one as a backup is a pretty common one.

You’re now getting away from the hardware and into workflow. In general you have the option of spending $$$ to get faster workflows. What i’m reading sounds generally OK to me, but as you note, is slow with lots of data movement.

I’m unaware of any application that could work with external drives to create a RAID.

Generally, you’ve got the correct idea with low res or offline editing. I’m not super versed on Premiere Pro, but that’s the gist of it.

1 Like

Is that fast enough internet.
Also we’re looking at adding another Gig internet account in addition to it.

Are you now?

I thought that was the word on the street looking into spectrum. It was a rumor. Maybe I’m wrong. Sorry

Lol no need to be sorry, I was just like, well thats news to me haha. I think we looked at someone’s fiber once upon a time. I believe there is some build cost to overcome. After some things calm down we can surely look into it.