DMS Weather Project: Build Log

Ok we went up there today and figured the problem out, minor bug in the code. look out for the next storm, updating our status now.

3 Likes

I believe that the concern I mentioned about the temperatures being too high because of the lack of ventilation and color of the case is actually happening.

Just checked the wunderground report and the temperature it is showing (73) is 9 degrees warmer the weather.com is showing for Carroltonā€¦

1 Like

Thanks @wandrson! The great thing about this project is that if you see there needs to be a change such as this you have the authority to fix it. We will be having a presentation about our project soon which will layout all the groundwork for others to get involved.

3 Likes

It does seem to be warmer than most of the other PWSs in the area (the 74Ā° near Farmers Branch is the Dallas Makerspace PWS)ā€¦ Itā€™s interesting to see the range of the stations!

Spray painting the box white has some merit. FWIW the temp/humidity sensor is outside the box under a 3d printed, ventilated radiant heat shield.

Looks like this one:

3 Likes

The weather page is now linked to the dallasmakerspace.org home page.

3 Likes

Looks like we registered 9" of rain in a short period of time this early morning. Thatā€™s a pretty torrential storm. The PWS near my house received 1".

Yes we were actually testing out our rain sensor last night. We can now read rainfall, but the question remains if itā€™s emptying physically or does the code need to update how fast it resets.

Once it dries up we will go on the roof to run more tests. If youā€™d like to join the best I can offer right now is letting yā€™all know 5 minutes before on Talk. But more than likely Wed or Thurs is when weā€™ll go back up.

We havenā€™t released the code because weā€™re still working out this last issue. Thanks for watching and your patience.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think the solution to the rain sensor is in software this time. I think itā€™s due to wind gusts flexing the pole with enough acceleration to flip the rain bucket. If true, this would be electrically indistinguishable from legitimate rain and so canā€™t easily be resolved in software. Iā€™ve released the code already in a previous post. I just havenā€™t posted it on github yet, but Iā€™ll do that as soon as I get some time.

I believe weā€™re going to need a physical modification in order to fix the false rain issue. Either stiffen the pole, or add guy wires, or move the rain sensor lower on the pole, or something else. Basically, the top of the pole (where the rain sensor is) is whipping around violently enough to cause the rain bucket inside to move. Each time it moves far enough to trip its sensor is equivalent to ~0.3mm of rain filling and tipping the bucket, and the software is interpreting it as such.

1 Like

I allowed for the possibility of guy wirea in the design. We can also shorten the mast back down to 6ā€™. That will reduce flex by about half.

We can add eyebolts to the corners of the base and the top of the mast, then use piano wire/picture frame wire with turnbuckles to tighten the guy wires and add rigidity to the mast.

1 Like

This seems like an adequate solution to me, just based on visual observation of the mast during common daytime wind conditions (15 km/h; 30 km/h gusts). I suspect we need fairly minimal stiffening, but this is of course not remotely empirical, and Iā€™d enjoy seeing more considered input. I regret that I donā€™t have a video to post showing the mast motion, but anyone can go on the roof at any time to observe it.

Tonight I modified the sensor script to report rain in negative magnitude in order to prevent propagation to wunderground (negative values are considered invalid by weewx), and added a logfile on the pi at /root/rpiweather.log so we can still see whether and when the rain sensor is activating. Running cat /root/rpiweather.log | grep -v "\-0.000 mm" on the pi will print a timestamped line for each occasion where the rain sensor bucket tipped, including false positives due to mast motion. This can be used to verify whether rain is indeed being reported during clear skies.

2 Likes

Delightfully, the negative rain still shows up in the charts at http://dallas.ms/weather even though it isnā€™t reaching wunderground. It does look to me like thereā€™s a correlation between wind and false rain. The magic wind speed seems to be about 40 km/h gusts.

another:

4 Likes

Upcoming Meeting

When: Thursday, 3/9
Time: 7 p.m. - 9 p.m.
Where: Interactive Classroom

We will finish up with the documentation, how others get involved. We will also discuss updating the website.

@HankCowdog
@benemorius
@LisaSelk
@sciborg
@brianbterry
@Gimli

All others are welcomed.

1 Like

A pic of our fearless leader! @actionjackson

3 Likes

contacting wunderground to get our station back up. we will have to hold off on our documentation set up until then.

Took down the weather station. The box will be located in Science on the black shelf named Weather Station.

1. Raspberry PI 3
  2. OurWeather Plus board
  3. Temperature Sensors
  4. Rain Sensor

So from what Iā€™ve gathered the servers went down two days ago. Around this time our station stopped reporting data all together. You cant access our page going through the Weather link. Possibly a corrupt SD card?

Iā€™ll be working on it the next couple of days Iā€™ll be up here, all day Sunday if anyone wants to join in.

3-20-17 Update

Thanks @benemorius making a script to restart Weewx. He found that because the servers went down including our, virtual server, that prevented the pi from serving up data to our website and wunderground.

Thank you @wandrson for your suggestion of using a white box to house our electronics. @MrPink suggested that we try spray painting it white. We did and just by looking at todayā€™s results it seems that we were able to be in range with other personal weather stations(pws) by about Ā±5 degrees.

3 Likes

3-26-17 Update
Ok Iā€™ve updated our github and wiki project page with documentation of how to get involved. My part of the project is done.If anybody sees something in the documentation that needs updating or clarifying, please do so or notify this log. Itā€™s expected that people read our build log, visit our wiki page and/or read weewx documentation for installation help.

Weather Station Wiki
DMS Weather Github
Weewx.com

Possible Projects:

1. Place the rain sensor in a secure place where the wind will not activate it.
  2. Redesign the weather station website so it is useful to outside users. Web Developer for DMS Weather
2 Likes

Hey guys we have a Science Committee Meeting Monday, April 24, 7 p.m. - 8 p.m. Purple Classroom. Since we are being funded by Science we need a representative to inform the committee of what the project is and know the guidelines that will effect our funding. Afterwards please post what guidelines are required discussed at the meeting on this thread.

This can be a great way to start in on this project, you donā€™t have to be apart of this project to represent us, I can fill you in on all the details. If youā€™re interested PM me.

@HankCowdog
@David_Steele
@sciborg
@benemorius
@Gimli
@bscharff
@brianbterry

1 Like

Reminder Science Committee Meeting this Monday, April 24, 7 p.m. - 8 p.m.

1 Like