DMS Weather Project: Build Log

Meeting #4 recap

Here is an option we are looking into.

Last night we tried orienting the board’s antenna facing towards the roof and still had difficulty receiving a signal. Three weeks ago we were able to connect to the wifi but are unable to do so now. We are trying to find the factor that changed since then. Some suggestions included:

1. Code the ESP8266 module to have more power
  2. Add an outside antenna to the board.

A decision will be made this Sunday (2/5) on how we should proceed. Thank you Thomas for lending your IT expertise to our group! It was much appreciated. I would tag you but there’s like 10 other Thomas’…

@HankCowdog
@David_Steele
@sciborg
@brianbterry
@bscharff
@Gimli

You still have seven years to prepare for this… https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/april-8-2024/

Thomas spent the weekend figuring out how to hot wire our board to read sensors only and shoot those readings over to a raspberry pi. From there he was able to connect to the internet through ethernet and install weewx. @sciborg @themitch22 and i went up to watch him hook it up for a test run:

Test Run

3 Likes

The ethernet link had problems until I bypassed the ETH‑SP installed on the roof. (PoE worked and the link light was on, as shown in one of the pictures, but no DHCP and the link light on the switch in the server closet was flashing alternating green and amber.) Substituting a plain rj45 coupler in place made it work (can ssh to it, and the link light on the switch is normal) but I didn’t want to leave it hooked up that way. I haven’t investigated further to determine whether it’s a faulty part or something less obvious. I didn’t try swapping the two ESD protectors around, though I did try leaving the one on the roof connected while bypassing the other one, and that yielded no difference to having them both hooked up. For now, I only have it connected while I’m at the space because of this.

I’ve realized that the humidity/temperature sensor is only rated down to 3.5 V and it’s running at 3.3 V. This is consistent with the strange behavior it’s exhibited, so I’m no longer expecting a software fix for it. Switching it over to 5 V shouldn’t be difficult and I plan to do that next time I’m on the roof.

The python code for the wind direction sensor hasn’t been written yet because it appears that the implementation will be ugly and I haven’t yet resolved that there’s really no better way.

It works otherwise. Weewx is running on the Pi with a custom Weewx driver receiving data from a separate python script which is reading data from the sensors using various available libraries. As long as the ethernet is plugged in, there’s a web page accessible from onsite at http://192.168.201.194/ displaying current weather conditions and historical charts. The humidity and temperature drop out during higher temperatures, and the wind direction doesn’t work at all yet, both due to known issues mentioned above.

Below is a photo to document the wiring (the Pi shown is not the one now installed)

2 Likes

Hmmm… Bad device or miswired cable? If it’s not new then perhaps it took an indirect hit? You don’t have to have a direct lightning strike to burn these devices out. It has a 90v clamp with 700v instantaneous clamp so a 48v DC PoE source shouldn’t have caused it to clamp down.

BTW: When walking on the roof over Tempest Telecom, please stay near the outside wall and don’t walk in the middle of the roof. We were about 5’ away from the outside wall before the following happened:

We were intercepted by someone, as we were getting off the ladder, who was “trying to figure out who was knocking all the insulation off my ceiling” on Saturday. We tried to smooth things over as best as possible, but I think the damage is done.

We should do our best to keep our neighbors happy and create as little impact to their operations as possible.

I suggest walking within 1’ of the wall in a single file line, trying to step as lightly as possible.

4 Likes

Meeting Reminder

When: Thursday, 2/9
Where: Conference Room
Time: 7 p.m. - 9 p.m.

Calendar Event
DMS Weather Station Wiki

Thomas was able to hack our board to run with a raspberry pi 3. There were some issues with the ethernet running from the surge suppressor on the roof. This meeting will focus on narrowing down the cause of this issue and finishing up the remaining pieces of our project.

Goals

1. Configure Weewx and Weatherunderground
  2. Figure out the cause of the no POE
  3. Install remaining sensor drivers
  4. Look into pushing some of our data into APRS
  5. Documentation

@HankCowdog
@sciborg
@benemorius
@brianbterry
@Gimli
@David_Steele
@AndrewLeCody

Receipts need to be turned in before February 16th

1 Like

I updated the Wiki page to reflect the final costs of the mast. Came in at $30.22, well under my initial ~$50 estimate primarily because I found a suitable $10 waterproof Pelican-style case to replace the much higher priced waterproof utility box.

I sent a copy of receipts to Finances email.

1 Like

Since PR is funding the project they need to be categorized under PR.

Is the goal to push data to the APRS network via an actual 2-meter APRS radio, or is it to push it over the internet via Echolink or something?

Via an Internet API - not “real” radio.

The DMS Weather Station is now up and running on wunderground.com. Any time you’re on the DMS Member network visit IP Address: 192.168.201.194

Thanks @Dawsmart and @Nathaniel_Roberts for caulking up the weatherproof electronics box.

Thanks to the team that dedicated their time and expertise:
@HankCowdog
@David_Steele
@sciborg
@benemorius
@Gimli
@bscharff
@brianbterry

4 Likes

Individual Contributors:
@wandrson
@zmetzing
@Dawsmart
@Nathaniel_Roberts
@LisaSelk
@AndrewLeCody
@denzuko
@mstovenour
Gary

Welcome to the space Alexander!

2 Likes

It was our pleasure. Thanks for taking us on the roof!

:dms: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Does the weather station have a working rain gauge? I see the status says down for maintenance.

Not sure

Thanks for pointing that out! :slight_smile:

I imagine that’s still from when I set up the account (before the station was installed on the roof and ready to go…). @actionjackson can set a new status when she gets a chance, or I can if she tells me what she wants the current status to be.

Yes, it has a rain gauge. Uses a tipping bucket, so only captures liquid precipitation:won’t work for snow/ice.

Sensors include:

• temp
  • humidity
  • wind speed
  • wind direction
  • rain accumulation
  • barometric pressure

(I think that’s it).

Based on the amount of rain I got at my house over night and the fact that DMS reported zero, I suspect that the rain gauge may not be working/reporting correctly.

*edit: added barometric pressure

1 Like

That’s too bad about the rain gauge. I almost asked last night to see if the space was in fact getting any rain, but arriving here today it seems clear that there should have been enough rain to have triggered the rain gauge considering that each 0.2794 mm of rain triggers one pulse from the sensor.

The deal with the rain gauge is that it wasn’t practical to test it in its installed configuration. It’s mounted high enough that a ladder would be required to reach it, or else some apparatus to dispense water into a small aperture several meters higher than one can normally reach.

I’m not planning to be at the space long tonight but I’ll try to get some quick troubleshooting in.

2 Likes

thanks lisa, i think its best we keep it still up for maintenance since our rain guage isn’t working properly. I’m at the space but the roof might be wet. I will check tomorrow or whoever gets their first to see if things have dried up.

1 Like