DMS Weather Project: Build Log

Meeting #3 Recap

Goals

1. :white_check_mark: Database Configuration: If a database isn’t decided upon by Sunday afternoon, we will go with MariaDb/Mysql
  2. :white_check_mark: Figure out how to haul the station base on the roof - We need rope and some hands to make this work. This may be an adhoc plan.
  3. :negative_squared_cross_mark: Make a final decision on where to place the station base - Until we revisit the roof again we will not be able to make this decision
  4. Wiring - Brooks will be here Sunday(1/29) 2 p.m. to begin install the wiring. @bscharff if you won’t be able to do it let us know so we can help you in any way that seems feasible.
  5. Turn in receipts - please turn in your receipts to me for reimbursement.

@HankCowdog
@David_Steele
@sciborg
@brianbterry
@Gimli
@AndrewLeCody
@MrPink

Next Meeting
When: Thursday, January 2, 2017
Where: Purple Classroom
Time: 7 p.m. - 9 p.m.

Goals

1. Have database up and running
  2. :white_check_mark: Register Station at Wunderground.com - thanks @LisaSelk
  3. Decide upon a location
  4. Begin shooting Instructional video - This video will detail how we put Ourweather kit together the nuances and the nuances we found.
1 Like

re: hauling
I have rope, pulley, screwlinks, locking carabiner, webbing and know-how to rig up a 2:1 hauling system to get the mast onto the roof safely.

Need to set up a time/date: next Thursday evening?, this Sunday (29 Jan?). Need 4 people: two to haul, one to guide up top, one to belay below.

1 Like

Thursday we can do it for sure. but it would be dark if you decide to set it up while we are meeting.

Sunday is probably best, since we are expecting (unless @bscharff can’t make it) to do the wiring and it’s during the day. Let me know what you decide and I’d be glad to lend a helping hand.

2 Likes

I’ll come to the DMS at 1pm Sunday. I’ll set things up to haul then we can get a crew together to do the actual lifting (which will only take a few min.). I need to fabricate a lower bracket to attach to the bucket so we can haul the bucket and frame separately. That won’t take long to do.

1 Like

This past Sunday we were able to:

1. :white_check_mark: Hoist the weather station onto the roof - @HankCowdog, Ret, @gimli, Patrick, @sciborg, I’m sorry I forgot your name but I remember your face…
  2. :white_check_mark: Run Cat5e cable to the roof - @Gimli,@bscharff
  3. :white_check_mark: Connect to DMS Member - @bscharff,@HankCowdog
  4. :white_check_mark: Install a database —> MariaDB/SQL - @bscharff

However this time around while on the roof we were able to connect to network. We were able to in previous runs but for some reason couldn’t do so sunday. @HankCowdog suggested options that we could possibly try:

1. Adjust a wifi antenna so that part of its field of strength could point towards the roof, just to test if we have a signal strength problem.
  2. Installing a PoE wifi card next to our controller board to increase the signal
  3. Take out our board completely and use a raspberry pi and let go of the wifi and use ehternet. There are some complications with using a raspberry pi and should be addressed before those issues arises.

Last night I spoke with Britton about our issue and he was able to find a sensor breakout board for the Raspberry Pi on switchdocs website.

Weather Board for the Raspberry Pi

Specification Sheet
Software

If you have run PoE why not use the wired ethernet connection instead of wireless?

1 Like

That’s an option we can do, I’m just trying to give everybody the information before moving forward with a decision.

1 Like

The board they have doesn’t have ethernet on it. It is a tossup on the difficulty of adding a ethernet shield compared to changing to a Raspberry Pi.

I thought I heard you say you were using a Raspberry Pi.

They have both but if the wifi worked it would be working now. They bought a turnkey system so to change it to the Raspberry Pi would take at least programming if not boards to convert the cable interface. Going the Raspberry Pi would be very doable but would take more time. They are trying to have the basic function working in a week or two.

It also seems we would need a analog-to-digital converter if we decide to go with the raspberry pi.

I’m all for the raspberry pi and think it will be a viable option.

1. It’s already diving into the next stage our project.
  2. We’ll be connected to ethernet, so connectivity will rarely be an issue

I’m just unaware of the pitfalls it might bring such as possibly overheating because of outside temperatures. @StanSimmons do you have any insight on possible raspberry pi’s pitfalls?

The same company you have been getting the boards and sensors from also sell Raspberry Pi based boards as well as providing the software for them as well. They have a write-up about it on their blog you’ll may want to look at.

1 Like

You want a NEMA rated outdoor enclosure but the question is… ventilated or not.

If you go with non-ventilated then you’ll have temperature problems. If you go with ventilated then you run the risk of dirt, contaminants, and insects.

Doesn’t need NEMA rating usually, but it does need to be ventilated, and painted white to minimize solar heating. It also needs to be 4-5 feet above the roof fo provide adequate airflow.

They typically look a bit like this…

or this

Meeting Reminder

We will be having a meeting tomorrow, Thursday (2/1), 7 p.m. - 9 p.m.. I was unable to schedule the class in time, so that’s why it’s not up on the calendar. We will use the Purple Room until further notice.

The last part is setting up our board so it can connect to the internet. Walter made a suggestion that we could use turn our raspberry pi 3 into an access point via ethernet. Have the pi next to our weather board and have it send data. A possible fix to our wifi connection. But our pi will have to have its’ own IP address. @bscharff can we try this?

@HankCowdog
@sciborg
@David_Steele
@Gimli
@brianbterry

Update: Event is now on the calendar, click here

]

[/img]

2 Likes

I was tasked with photo-documentation:

2 Likes

1 Like