DMS Weather Project: Build Log

You mean lightning rod, right?

Could you add about 30 extra feet? or I donā€™t know we are looking at this area to install the station:

Iā€™ll add an extra 50 feet on each run, no worries.

1 Like

Bought the buck converter https://www.amazon.com/SMAKNĀ®-meters-Relay-Voltage-Output/dp/B011QI6A3A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1484880072&sr=1-1&keywords=poe+buck+converter+5v

Do we also need ethernet and mico usb terminals? Can we get these from Tannerā€™s?

I can probably come up with 10 or so ethernet terminals. I donā€™t think we want to try to make micro usb cables, just buy what you need. I have a couple of micro usb terminals if you wan to see them. Yes at one time I thought it might be useful, or even possible, to make my own cables. I have changed my mind.

Why the buck converter over the PoE adapter I mentioned in the first meeting? I donā€™t think that buck converter is compatible with standard PoE, so we canā€™t plug straight into one of the PoE switches.

Ahhh yea you are right that was my bad I will get on that.

Please excuse my confusion, again hardware isnt my forte, i meant ethernet pins to plug into the wall and POE adapter unless @bscharff will take care of that when he does the wiring.

To mitigate any interference potential, please install as far away from HF antenna as possible. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for catching that, it has now been ordered. I will return the buck converter as soon as it arrives.

Meeting Reminder

When: Thursday, 1/26
Where: Conference Room
Time: 7 p.m. - 9 p.m.

DMS Weather Station Wiki
Calendar Event

Goals:

1. :white_check_mark: Build Station Base
  2. :white_check_mark: Ask HAM radio estimate wire length;
  3. :white_check_mark: Build a materials list for wiring install
  4. Database configuration
  5. Figure out how to haul the station base on the roof
  6. Make a final decision on where to place the station base.

We completed most of our goals for this meeting so I added a few things on. Expect to go on the roof to decide our location. We will try to place it far enough from HAM radioā€™s antenna to prevent interference. Anything else Iā€™m forgetting please bring it up in the meeting.

Again all members/non-members are welcomed

Yā€™all are awesome, keep up the great work!
@HankCowdog
@David_Steele
@Gimli
@sciborg
@AndrewLeCody
@denzuko
@brianbterry
@bscharff
@zmetzing
@wandrson

@Ebony_Jackson If we can get the mount on the roof I would suggest we hookup the station to the mount and power it with my battery to begin gathering data. I expect we can run the station for 5 or 6 days on one charge of the battery. We can check signal strength and power usage.

2 Likes

Bang bang! Iā€™m all for it!

I think I know that youā€™re doing the same thing that AR-SIG is doing: Using a weighted mounting frame for the weather station emplacement. Just be careful about using the word ā€œmountā€, as that can imply drilling holes in the roof, which we were told is a huge no-no with the landlord.

1 Like

Think ā€œmastā€, not ā€œmountā€.

Wooden frame for a wide footprint. Makes it less likely to tip over. Also makes for less than 10 lbs/sq ft on roof.

80lbs of concrete for mass and a low center of gravity.

Not attached to roof (other than by gravity).

Mast is in Science now, awaiting a team to haul it up. I have ropes, straps, etc. for hauling.

2 Likes

Two of those buckets on our mast, and it went boom in the recent storms. :frowning:
We do have a larger wind loading area, howeverā€¦

The pole came down but the concrete buckets are still up.

Weak pole!!!

Actually the pivoting base is what failed. The pole inserted into the pivoting base was smaller than the base pole, that might have contributed to the failure. If the pole had been shimmed to the size of the base it might have not failed. Or it might have anyway. The blocks you used to anchor the guy wires were probably too light also. That is what it looked like to me. YMMV

The radio mast bent. The buckets stayed in place. The cinder blocks holding the guy wires slid, allowing the mast bracket to bend and buckle.