DMS Racing Lemons Build

Amazing work race crew! It was great to see so many people working on the car yesterday.

Good to meet the crew, looking forward to this. It was fun pulling the puppy out, I’ve got some pics, but it says new members cannot upload pics.

An alternative to trying to weld the floor pans is to use fiberglass cloth and epoxy. It hardens to a tough surface and will seal out air and moisture. It won’t be pretty but it will be functional since it’s not load-bearing.

I should have some materials left over from my motorcycle roadracing days, can take this on if you want me to.

I emailed the Lemon@ address, would like to get involved. When is your next meeting? If you need a driver I have experience, gear, and money to cover fees. Give me a call, Jerry 2146634093

Our next meeting will be this wednesday(14th) at 7pm where we will be getting together the final list of drivers and working on the engine rebuild. I saw your email to the list, right now I’m just waiting for more replies to see who else is interested in driving.

I’m totally interested in driving, I’ll definitely be there Wed. I would like to know how to rent a suit and what the fees will be.

https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/forum/#!topic/lemon/4-uORBGtrMk for more info

1 Like

After getting the head and everything except the pistons / crankshaft off, we are finally starting to decrease the entropy of the car.

My memory has gone foggy again, did we say 12 noon on Saturday or was it Sunday?

Wait, we’re supposed to remove the fuel hose?

Do we want to check the bottom end bearing wear? NO, NO, NO. Turn it over quick.

Shadetree Mechanics Inc.

Hey, let’s see how many parts we have left over on reassembly

Lower timing chain cover and pulleys off:

2 Likes

Saturday is when I can be there to keep reassembling engine

The exhaust manifold has a new threaded hole. I drilled out the broken bolt and threaded it 10mmx1.5. There is a new stainless bolt on it now (thanks Alan Wan!). It might be too long, but can be cut to length.

1 Like

We got the engine back together and into the car. It helps to

1. Know that the motor mount bolts to the subframe in a slot, so you can loosen them and slide them up and down
  2. Have 2 different hoisting devices for precision alignment. The leveler was good but because it was mounted diagonal, any leveling front to back would also tilt the engine left to right.
  3. Double check starter solenoid wiring

At first we tried to start the car and there was nothing from the starter, then we swapped the cables we had going to the terminals on the starter solenoid. (the bottom right box in this diagram)

After flipping the wires the solenoid now makes a clicking noise, but the starter motor does nothing, so the current idea is we fried something related to the starter. But I would have thought the solenoid either closes the circuit between the two terminals or doesn’t, why would orientation matter? .

Did the flywheel get replaced or the bolts still JB welded on? I guess if it works, it works.

I was too scared to attempt to remove the bolts, (bolt head might twist off, leaving us with the expense of procuring a new crankshaft), I doubt it’s going to fall off again. I took this picture right before mating the transmission, which by the way is really easy to do when the engine is hanging from the gantry and the transmission is on an adjustable height stool

1 Like

I am willing to help on pit crew since I am not able to afford the driving portion just yet this year. I have tools that may come in handy. When is the race so I can try and plan for it and make sure I can get time off? I will try to start making build sessions Wednesdays when I can, if I am off this week I will need someone to let me in since they have run out of fobs.

We can always use more pit crew help! The race is Friday Feb 27th - Sunday March 1st at Eagles Canyon Raceway near Denton. This week we will be meeting on Tuesday (Jan 20th) due to scheduling conflicts

What time on Tuesday, I will try to make it but I am getting fitted for new uniforms and being briefed on a new schedule for work that day. I don’t know my meeting times for that yet.

Will be at the space ~7pm - 10pm

ok great I will be up there around 8 rough guess I’m headed to go take care of a few things at the house and pick up my truck.