DMS Pottery Throwdown Exhibition: All Welcome!

Pottery Throwdown Extravaganza…and Snacks!
June 24 1pm-6pm
DMS Ceramics Area

In Ceramics, we are fortunate to have a fairly recyclable material and adventurous spirits so we have once again asked ourselves, “What’s the worst that can happen?”. It’s time for a challenge! Can you throw blindfolded? Throw a pot with three other people? One hand hand build? We certainly think it’ll be fun to try at the very least.

Come stretch your skills or cheer on our plucky potters in pushing the limits of possibility…and good sense. Whether you are a seasoned potter or just find yourself with a free Saturday, we’d love to have you praise our accomplishments or laugh along with our failures, we’ll definitely have both.

Things to bring: folding/camp chair, apron or towel if you are thinking of giving it a whirl in a game, potluck snacks!

Signups for events will be in the Ceramics area next week with some spots reserved for day of, don’t think you’ve escaped our grasp by ‘not getting around to it’; we have you in our sights. You can do it. Or not. Either will be a rollicking good time.

Schedule:

Welcome and Introduction of the DMS PTE Grotesquery: our collaborative artwork for the event.
1pm-1:10pm

Episode 1: Oh, That Looks Hard
1:15-2:00

• How Many Pots Can You Throw in Ten Minutes?
  • One Handed Hand Building
  • Blindfolded Throwing
  • Two Person Handle Pulling (aka Do you need a ladder? aka This looks inappropriate somehow.)

Episode 2: Wait, This is Much Worse
2:05pm-3:25pm

• Freehanded Clay Weighing (aka This has to be like, what, two pounds?)
  • 2oz Throwing (aka You don’t need so much water, just sweat more.)
  • Behind the Back Pinch Pot Guess
  • What’s the Biggest You Can Throw with 8lbs?

Episode 3: I Can’t Even…
3:30-6:00

• I Saw That on YouTube Once (aka For those that have never even touched a wheel before)
  • Two Person Throw, One Hand Each
  • How Tall Can You Go Coil Building
  • Four Person Tag Team Wheel Madness

Hope to see you there!

13 Likes

Sign up sheets are available! If you find yourself within five feet, you are required to pick a game. Success is nice, but failures will be even more lauded. Challenge yo’ self!

8 Likes

This looks like so much fun!

1 Like

Try one handed throwing. I knew a potter once who lost an arm above the elbow. He still threw one handed, pots as tall as 12 or 14 inches. Seriously amazing.
He lost his arm in a pug mill accident…

1 Like

Hopefully someone will video that and make it available…

I’m thinking two-person throw, one hand each will be hilarious. LOL

1 Like