DMS Plan Book for New Recruits

If by championing, you mean cheering everyone on, then yes. haha Many of my days are already filled with DMS volunteer work, booked up at the moment. It was an idea that I had and I hope someone would be willing to pick it up and run with it. Someone needs to get the chairs to talk to their committees.

HAHA … yeah something like that

Good idea …

That would be Day 1 Project Book rather than 1 Day Project Book …

There might should be some projects that can be done on Day 1 … not everything requires Training Classes

2 Likes

Ha, no I meant taking it on as a project. It seems quite a bit of ideas get thrown around, but not a lot of them make it past ideation.

2 Likes

I think some people believe that they have to bare the weight of it alone. This isn’t true. There are many people will all kinds of talents here. The person championing is the one that just gives a bit of order to the project, not the one that has to do it all. They also have to be the one to go out and be the point of contact for the people and share the idea with everyone.

2 Likes

I like this idea. Are you, or a specific committee, championing this?

We’re a collective after all. So does it have to be just one person or one committee?

How about we all come up with a few ideas to contribute to the book?

I’m not saying it has to be one person. I was just asking if this was something being championed with a person or committee organizing it, or if it was an idea being thrown out as a suggestion. I’m interested in this idea, but only if it’s organized.

2 Likes

Not sure about a single day but… a “weekend” friendly hack would be do able for the following:

• Blinky light via the FPGA dev kit in SDC
  • Blinky light via the Arduino dev kit in SDC
  • Hello world in any language on the community grid in VCC
  • Build a Simple game on the C128 and save it to an sd card in Interactive Computer Museum
  • Build a CPU mining pool using VCC designs.
  • Download software from the FIDO net via XM Core BBS in VCC
  • Repair a PC
  • Deploy tensorflow or hadoop to the community grid
  • Join in the Spaces pool with Folding@home, World Community Grid, and DallasMaker.coin
  • Play the virtual CTF
2 Likes

If we are going to form them into a book … we might want to think about them in terms of something they could do not just at the space but their local makerspace.

1 Like

A living hinge notebook on the laser is simple enough to be done in a day and roughly $10-$15 to make. A personalized notebook for future designs/ideas seems like a great place to start.

4 Likes

I love this idea ! I am willing to work on some for jewelry
and for some 2 session clay projects since they have to dry inbetween stage

some of the jewelry projects will be less than 2 hrs

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Leather#Leather_Projects_.2F_Templates

I have been working on something similar for Leather for a while now, but it’s slow going. I get asked about templates, and projects so I’ve been creating wiki pages for each project. It lists the tools needed, the vector templates, and is only lacking the instructions on how to assemble the item. The advantage of a wiki location, or web location vs a book, is being able to supply the files needed for some of these projects.

I’m really interested in this idea, because I can contribute offline. So if someone is willing to champion this idea, I’m willing to commit to help.

3 Likes

Instead of Instructables* … Makeables.

*Love this site, worth the $25/yr to be able to download all the files.

3 Likes

I have a few leather item templates I have reverse engineered off of things I have seen/found online that I would be glad to share. I’ve also created a couple of acrylic templates but I haven’t looked in the cabinet to see if they’re still there. They’re more-than-one-day things but still it would be good to have some options on the wiki.

I recommend that this go into the wiki for every committee and should be a most basic and fully complete project instruction set with pictures. Especially document any necessary software or equipment settings (like kisslicer software download & settings for 3Dfab) and training requirements and of course any safety considerations (like closed toe shoes for wood & machine shop areas)

This must be written down to the crayon level for someone who is entirely unfamiliar and should have a last revised date on the file and the committees need to be charged with maintaining the files when policies change and equipment is upgraded or replaced.

3 Likes

A shop apron with an optionally-embroidered pocket is a good serging/sewing one-day project and almost universally useful.

9 Likes

I guess? I know what repair a PC means and understand the last bullet point is playing capture the flag but everything else might as well be half enochian. I’m sure there would be more explanation (hopefully) for plebians like me but that list is all kinds of over my head personally

This guy gets my knowledge level

so funny story - I took 3d printing basics some weeks ago and FINALLY got around to finding a file and doing my first slice and print I remembered kisslicer - just the software name and that we needed that to make STL files printable…

now - do like I did and just TRY to print something at DMS with only that information…

2 hours later after pouring over the bare bones wiki - I ran into Max who was giving a basics class and I took it again and started my print job with him helping me find everything again - and why? - because there is almost NO detail on the 3Dfab wiki… I needed the crayon level to do it the first time…

Now - after my print job taking 11 hours - and yes - I was at DMS the WHOLE time… - I will double my efforts to learn a LOT more about slicing to bring that same print job down to 2 to 3 hours…

So yes - detailed crayon level with pictures please - we must crawl before we can walk…

7 Likes

One thing to think about is how to explain this to someone after we stop using Kisslicer or the options change in the update? This is the problem with going too detailed. We need to be able to explain it but in a way that they understand the concepts and can adapt them to the situation.

I think the term is ELI5 … Explain it like I’m Five.

That would be so cool! I’ve seen recipe books that give you useful specs on the top corner of each page - in this case, time to make, cost to make, and prerequisites required. I can see your point, though - “ease of updating as equipment changes” might be a good case for going the wiki route. And may be more doable if each committee only has, say, three makeable recipes to keep up to date.

1 Like

I’d be willing to help with this class, or even to teach it.