DMS October camping date

I’m flipping a calendar and I saw that I wrote down a pending DMS camping date in October. Who’s down for an adventure?

3 Likes

Sounds like Fun!!!

Say weekend of the 7th, at Lake Mineral Wells?
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/lake-mineral-wells

They have camp sites with water and power or if we are adventurous there are some primitive sites about 1.5 mile hiking.

Personally I like the park and camp model, and it is only about a hour drive from Dallas.

1 Like

For fall colors, it is hard to beat Lost Maples, if you can catch the leaves turning.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/lost-maples

1 Like

7th is Open House at DMS

I believe it was Cindy who initially talked about that? Might help find the original thread

Oops,
I’ve had it blocked out on my schedule for months, but didn’t remember why. Well someone else suggest a date then. :wink:

@wandrson, I’ve never been to Lost Maples, sounds cool. A bit to far for me driving when probably only staying 1 night, unless there is a must see attraction.

That’s the Open House weekend.

In addition to the absolute best color changes in Texas (with the possible exception of McKittricks Canyon in the Guadalupe National Park), it has great hiking and fishing opportunities. In other words it is not a park I would suggest going to for a single evening camp out. Your google directions are (as usual with google) a bit strange. Staying on 377 will take 30-45 minutes off the travel time. I average just under five hours each way when I have gone from D/FW

That said, during the ‘rush’ season the weekend campsites for the Fall are probably already booked solid. Taking time off during the work week is the best time (in the fall) to experience this beautiful park.

4 Likes

Nice pro tip on the time savings via 377.

I’m going to have to add this place to my Texas travel bucket list. Any suggestion on dates I should target for a trip next year? Based on how you make it sound it has to be booked already.

I’m in. As long as we can set up a shortwave to catch the Aggie game. I like hearing it on radio.

From Discord:

“Starting to plan the fall calendar. Is there still interest in camping/stargazing for say, October 13, 14, 15? The last one was a lot of fun.
Moon is last quarter, waning, and doesn’t rise until after midnight. (If I read the chart properly.)”

I’m still game +1.

@mreynolds @denzuko @darrent

2 Likes

I’m in with my little if it’s that weekend.

1 Like

That weekend might work. Palo Duro?

Anywhere you say is fine with me.

If another weekend in October is an option that would be preferred, because @frank_lima and I are going to a wedding on the 13th. We would love to go to any of the locations mentioned though, it sounds like a lot of fun! :smiley: