Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - May 2016

Still in the acquisition phase. But maybe two dozen so far…

Sage observation. I just advised a fellow miniaturist to buy the best tools he/she could afford. They’ll end up owning those tools eventually and they wouldn’t waste the money on the tools they will end up replacing.

3 Likes

Buying the highest quality tools I can afford is my “new motto,” however, sometime you’re just not sure you want to get in a hobby and don’t want to splurge on the best tools immediately. Regardless, higher quality, better tools are the way to go if you can afford them. Now I can just try out most hobbies I want to explore at DMS, before diving in and buying a lot of tools.
More importantly some tools I will never be able to afford and DMS has many of them.

3 Likes

Laser-cut earrings from patterns that I made for my Mom last Christmas. Now she wants me to put them on Etsy.

14 Likes

I’m surprised I haven’t posted this yet to show and tell. I have been working on my own personal 3D printer a Mendel90 which I got duplicate parts when my class built the Mendel90 for 3D fab (called “Mendy”, in a way they would be brothers). I used the Panucatt Azteeg x3 controller, surestepr SD8825 drivers, and Helios build plate PCB. It required quite a bit of trips to the makerspace to fix a lot of the issues it had. Now it has been printing ABS like a dream even without an encloure, it is rock solid and the parts look pretty good. It’s been mostly printing it’s own upgrade parts like a y-belt tensioner, filament guide and cleaner, and part cooling fan (still working on that).

10 Likes

I also have started a new 3D printing channel on Youtube called Mitch 3D. I will be doing more in depth review and tutorial videos for 3D printing and hope to make better and better quality videos.

I used the equipment in Digital Media (Sony RX-10, lavelier mic, box lights, Adobe suite) to produce the video, and it turned out pretty professional for my first time.

10 Likes

I love that you are advertising for DMS with the shirt!

2 Likes

Dallas Makerspace will probably be thrown around quite a lot in my videos. On this channel I will probably be going in depth specifically on the Polyprinters as well so we can have some video training to go along with the 3D fab training classes.

1 Like

Maybe someone can design a DMS background for use on Blue Screen. That would kinda cool and could be used by others that make videos.

1 Like

We’ve talked about setting up a paper roll backdrop to be used for this. I don’t mind the blue by itself. Sometimes using chromakey just to have a static image is kind of cheesy.

I really want to try to be like this guys videos, he has a background of a bunch of 3D printers.

Finished making this bowl today. Made from spalted silver leaf maple. Used the zing to laser etch a logo I made, “JW crafts”. Thanks again to @mkart for the gracious use of his expertise and tools. I’m calling this one “Grub Juice” due to the hidden gem I discovered within after I got sprayed in the the face while roughing it out.

10 Likes

Those are cute! I like them a lot.

That is why you turn with your mouth closed! Looks great!

2 Likes

You sir, are a hero
Thanks for doing this!

1 Like

Now you tell me! :mask:

Nice job on finishing the bowl.

I too enjoyed the bowl turning class immensely. If you haven’t taken one of Matt’s @mkart classes you need to. Matt does an awesome job of teaching and his classes are a lot of fun. I missed out on the spray in the face experience, but the rest of the class was very enjoyable.

2 Likes

I made this bracelet for a custom order (I have a shop at the renfair). Sterling silver, paua shell, Austrian crystal, pearl

15 Likes

Improved the broom holder, now the broom holder is more solid than the shelving it’s mounted to…

Plans and materials:

Mounted and ready for use:

As a side note, if you see a broom labelled Auto or with a green handle, please return it this holder when done using it, thanks.

12 Likes

Laser etched some bottle caps for some of the home brewed beer made at DMS. This is for the Bourbon Vanilla Porter I will be bottling tomorrow. Enjoying the new Zing!

15 Likes

I delivered and finished (just need to buff the last coat of wax tomorrow morning) the two inkle loom prototypes for Creative Arts this morning. The looms are now on top of the cabinet on the far right, next to @Cairenn_Day loom. Just heads up for @kyrithia @uglyknees @artnerdray

In addition, I created three more shuttles according to the comments from Jeannie on Wednesday. I also experimented and found that by tying a string around posts A (next to heddle) and H (top left) you get a loop string that can be doubled and makes a heddle string of about the right length (I think). A few heddle strings were left with the looms that I created with this approach.

9 Likes