DMS, Letterpress is here!

Lisa, are you wanting to get equipment to make polymer plates, or just learn how to use them?

No, I can buy the photopolymer in a package at whatever size I need. In order to print with photopolymer I need the following:

1. A negative (Astrud says we can do this)
  2. Photopolymer material (This will need to be purchased)
  3. An exposure unit (we have an exposure unit in printmaking for screen printing that will work)
  4. A scrubbing system under running water (can easily be done by hand)
  5. A base to mount the photopolymer onto the press for printing (Boxcar Base is the standard)

Seems like you know what you’re doing then :slight_smile: I tried doing my own polymers some time ago and concluded that it is a waste of time hah, the sq in with boxcar costs $.71 , it was costing me more to do it myself.

I must have some unexposed, I’ll find them and bring them to the shop.

Great! I’ll be down in the wood shop for the CNC router class tonight till 10pm.

1 Like

Hi folks! I love seeing this discussion about letterpress revival. My name is Lari Gibbons and I teach at UNT. I restored 4 of our letterpresses and got them to purchase a Vandercook, which is now being used in our classes. We didn’t have any type for ours, so I’ve been teaching everyone to use type-high linoleum blocks. I’ve also made some CNC routed blocks that can be used in the letterpress (https://vimeo.com/38485036). I’ve also used Boxcar bases and polymers, but it can be tricky to generate the positives to make high-quality plates.

Anyway, I’ll be on leave from teaching in spring 2020 and will have more time open up. Maybe I can help?

8 Likes

Hi Lari,

Nice to meet you on here. It would be great to meet sometime down at the DMS. I would have lots of questions for you. I come from a traditional letterpress background where I was trained by a master printer on wood & metal. I was fortunate enough to inherit a large part of his letterpress collection and have mostly used it to create letterpress work for the last 10 or so years, unfortunately it’s in storage right now while I make plans for a permanent location. I’m just now realizing all the new methods available with access to a fabrication shop & CNC routing. Glad to meet you and whenever you have time next Spring let’s hook up and talk shop.

3 Likes

Hi Lisa, so lovely to “meet” you here! I would love to meet you in person so we can compare notes and share information. I will message my contact info to you. Thank you Lisa.

1 Like

Since you’re familiar with the Vandercook, we could use your help with the small offset proofer (Lisa knows the exact model) that we also have tucked away…

3 Likes

Lari and Paul,

The press located in the printmaking area that you speak of is discussed in the link below. It is interesting to note they used to call it a LetterOffset press, if either of you have ever heard of such a thing.

Check out the link below, they discuss the press in detail and there is some Flicker images of one that is restored. The one at the maker space is old and rusty and would be in need of a blanket and rollers to be operational. Lari, do you know anything about this press?

http://www.briarpress.org/42563

Lisa

1 Like

Hi Paul and Lisa, wow! That’s a cool press. I’ve never seen one like it before and don’t have much experience with offset, but I’d be game to try it.

I am going to come on one of the upcoming Thursday evening orientations and then get a membership going. Right now I’ve been admiring the DMS from afar but I understand I would need a membership to be legit. :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks to both of you!

3 Likes