DMS is in Carrollton Why Not CMS?

Hope this doesn’t ruffle any feathers. It’s a sincere question. We’re part of an effort to put Carrollton on the map to be known as more of a creative and artsy city. To get the local beaurocrocy to see the intrinsic value in creative fields, and to pursue grant funding for larger scale art beautification projects and installations.

Just curious if the address is in Carrollton, why is it not CMS? Assuming it’s in the history that DMS was once in Dallas? Or perhaps, Dallas is a more widely known city? Not expecting to push for anything. Just genuinely curious about DMS as it is a hidden gem in Carrollton. So grateful for it’s existence.

If anyone has any leads on successful city funded beatification projects please feel free to chime in.

I was on the original team that picked this location. First we really liked the building and from a branding standpoint we were already Dallas Makerspace.

We had 2 locations before the current one and they were both in Dallas.

Also the logic at the time was it’s still Dallas County!

10 Likes

Makes sense. Thank you, for the backstory.

Something historical ish to thumb through…

2 Likes

True, does not say “City of Dallas” Makerspace.

2 Likes

Update on this one

moved to here:

1 Like

At this point, the brand DMS has a real value in recognition and history. If we considered rebranding, what do you think the price should be to not only offset the loss of value and bring additional value to DMS? @katehughey

As a thought experiment I bet we could come up with a dollar figure which we could come to some agreement on. Though I would bet that dollar figure would far exceed the support Carrollton would ever give DMS.

From my experience we are not as attractive to the City of Carrollton as we would think. We don’t really give anymore advertising to the city than a Library would. So why invest in us, when they already own, fund, and operate the libraries. Also, the schools crossover us in ways as well, continuing to make our ask for support more difficult. The final nail is that we pull our membership from all over the metroplex, so even at our peak we didn’t really have a large voter group of member that were Carrollton residents.

I hear you. Yes, the City of Carrollton isn’t exactly known for supporting the arts, but we endeavor to overturn that. Dallas Furniture Bank switched to North Texas Furniture Bank recently. Perhaps, an all encompassing approach would be of value. Of course, thinking out loud. No intention on offending anyone, and I fully respect the name. Just an inquiring mind.

@katehughey are you a part of the City of Carrollton in an official capacity?

Homeowner, participant in city events, and local campaigns. Looking into a program proposal for an instructor position at parks and rec. I’m not employed by the city. I’m employed at an architect firm in Addison, and involved in a nonprofit called CarrolltonArt.com

I have experience in spearheading a successful beautification presentation for a symbiotic environment among pedestrians and vehicular traffic that was endorced by the city council and federally funded in Mississippi. Would love to get visionary projects on the table in Carrollton as well.

The push for sidewalks, lighting, and bike paths is what was adopted. They were just going to put the high traffic road through. The presentation was aiming at stars, but landed on the moon.

Thanks for the clarity,

I got that feeling I might be talking to a city rep based on your response. Didn’t want to look you up unless it was clear. In the past the BOD has gotten upset and punished members for interacting with city officials even in a non-official DMS capacity. As your new and asking around, that is a “live wire” watch out for.

We are not new, though also not experienced in, working with the cities in the area. I was working with TJ Gilmore, the Lewisville Business Development Committee, and City of Lewisville a few years back in hopes to find us a possible location in Lewisville that DMS would own. This was during the early expansion planning into our current expansion. Lewisville was was offering Tax credits, but the property expense was too high and we switched goals from moving to expanding into the space we have now. This decision was made before we had the chance to work with the Business Development Committee on possible grants. For a bit of history.

I wish you the best in acquiring a position in the City of Carrollton. If it doesn’t workout, I can introduce you to some of the movers and shakers in the Lewisville area, they have prove over the years to be invested in the Arts and Lewisville beautification. Also, Lewisville, Flower Mound and the Colony work together in many ways and are kind of sister cities so the Colony may also be a good place to look if Carrollton doesn’t flesh out.

Well, the Dallas Cowboys have never been located in Dallas, so…

5 Likes

The Cowboys initially played in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas from 1960 to 1971.

5 Likes

This post took an interesting turn. :smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the Dallas Makerspace Talk Forums :–)

3 Likes

We have no idea where in the Dallas area DMS will be in the future. We plan on one day getting our own building, especially as our rent climbs higher and begins to look more like mortgage money.

3 Likes