DMS accessibility

Continuing the discussion from New members frustrations:

This conversation brought up two questions in my mind.

Can DART provide additional on-call options for travel to and from a nonprofit educational initiative ? It would definitely bring some positive attention to them.

Is DMS accessible to all potential members? Our front access has 0 wheelchair access and the only way to get in the back is to go up the ramp with a members badge.

Let me know your thoughts! This is just theory crafting right now

2 Likes

Our accessibility to those with physical handicaps is extremely limited. We have zero wheelchair accessibility, unless the person uses the auto area as a parking garage. The ramp itself would not allow a wheel chair bound individual to enter on their own power.

The stairs in the front, with the lack of railings present problems routinely to the members with difficulty walking.

Given we only renewed for a 2 year lease, I doubt we could afford to do anything to fix the situation.

1 Like

I used to ride the train from downtown. Either station was a pain for the last mile or so - the bus wasn’t reliable, and the walk was on busy roads. I hope public transportation is something we’d consider if we move.

It’s so strange. All the storefronts are like that. Given the age I’d think someone would have made them ADA compliant. We could designate a few handicap spots for cheap and make an effort that way…I’d say have a second language tour but that’s probably setting new members up for failure since we don’t have online training yet and can’t offer training in their language

Check with the city of Carrollton. It was 20ish years ago but when we lived there they had a shuttle option for elderly and disabled people that did door to door rides.

If we do handicap we need spots front and back for ramp access.

The inside badged doors suck with limited mobility. I was bringing 10 gallons of paint through the middle door and someone helped me. Otherwise, I would still be struggling to get through it.

And then there are the bathroom doors. Unisex handles toilet access. The door is still not easy.

I think our building is grandfathered in for not having ADA compliance. I remember a long discussion. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

1 Like

ADA compliance is a complicated issue.

2 Likes

and legally fraught…even talking about it in public forum makes me nervous, in fact.

3 Likes

In only partial answers
Although I have glanced at DART OnCall, I have never used it as I happen to pick places to get to that are on regular routes or a route I can roll from, perhaps more roughly than many mobility device users would follow. DART will have to be asked on this one, perhaps vis 214-749-3333 Customer Care
When I visited I was either told in advance about the ramp or learned it by going to the front door and asking someone. It was the same way at the Walnut Hill area address. I don’t recall anyone questioning me in any way - both a function of the very low level of security alertness (probably higher if I started collecting tools) and the general societal response to a white guy in a mobility device - really someone is going to get wheels to steal stuff? I have this wisp of a memory of the biggest problem being getting past cars to get to the foot of the ramp. As I recall actually getting out was a bit more of a problem because I had to find someone to punch the door button to raise it. As has been demonstrated in court repeatedly, the requirement is to have some kind of access that is indicated with signs NOT the best possible or most convenient access.
Thank you for your concern,
Best of luck,
Mike

I think maybe we have finally found a raison d’etre for the PoS Space Bus!

Holy shit. The back ramp is not even close to acceptable for ADA compliance and we should absolutely stop suggesting that it is, even as an alternative to the nothing we have. Unless you are putting two handicapped parking spaces in the auto bays.

We are makers. Why can’t we make a zig-zag ramp at the back that would allow for stairs to be used for most and a ramp for those who aren’t fully ambulatory? There’s plenty of room back there.

Perhaps it’s something that costs could be split with the landlord.

never mind. staying out of this…

4 Likes

You’ll have to expand on that, I don’t know what you’re talking about.

We had discussions on ADA compliance and sadly it came down to. If we touch anything it meant grandfathering is out the window and we needed full compliance everywhere. From my faulty memory but over $50k+.

About the only thing we did was add the RFID reader at the bottom of the ramp for a member to drive into auto on a temp basis. I have not seen that member in a long while.

5 Likes

Thanks Ken!

Best to not uncork that bottle. :frowning:

What if made our doors more usable when carrying stuff through them, easier to open, and if we made ramps to our ingress doors because inclines are better for rolling carts, chairs, many things, do those actions mean we’ve inadverdently agree to ADA compliance. That doesn’t sound like it would, but I admit that I’ve got no idea.

2 Likes