DMS 360 Video for Virtual Tour

Hello!

I’ve taken some 360 video of DMS in hopes we could use it on the website for a virtual tour, or just a preview of the space.

These can be place holders if anyone has suggestions or thinks we should reshoot. In my opinion, I’d like to reshoot most locations with more activity in each space. The blank rooms only go so far…

Let me know if any has any thoughts! It’s still a work in progress and I know we haven’t covered every committee yet.

All the links are uploaded to my personal account as UNLISTED. I can get the source files to anyone who has access to the DMS profiles.

EDIT: Make sure you have the highest quality selected
EDIT: Make sure the setting in the bottom right is at 1440. I’ve seen it default to 360 for some users.

Electronics

Creative Arts

Galley

Interactive Classroom

Lecture Hall

Metal Shop

Science

VECTOR

Woodshop

Workshop Auto

10 Likes

Very nice idea. Thanks for doing this.

How do you select “highest quality”?

In CA room, it might be nice to either open some of the cabinets or stage the room with some goodies set-up. Unlike some of the other areas, CA just looks like a meeting room without some of the toys visible.

It will be great to see the other areas when you get them done.

1 Like

Just make sure the setting in the bottom right is at 1440. I’ve seen it default to 360 for some users.

The camera is a 360fly HD. A single lens 360 camera. The overall quality is ok… it gets the job done…

Great idea! I can swing by sometime this week to get a take 2. Would you want to meet up to break out the toys? I’m not too familiar with the area quite yet.

Thanks for the input!

Wow! I LOVE the 360 technology!! National Geography has some cool ones.

Thank you for pushing DMS to the bleeding edge of technology.

via CloudMagic Email
[https://cloudmagic.com/k/d/mailapp?ct=pa&cv=8.5.31&pv=6.0.1&source=email_footer_2]

Awesome you uploaded the footage. Did the ping pong one not work out? :anguished:

I wonder what is making the quality low on these? Is YouTube super compressing or is the camera just limited. Even at the 1440HD level the artifacts are still pretty rough.

Is this the same technology I’ve seen crop up on Facebook where you can move your phone/camera at the same time? Sorry for being daft I just am far from the edge of knowing how things work sometimes.

Yes. It is POV (Point of view photography). Image spinning 360 from where
you are standing and “looking around”.

via CloudMagic Email
[https://cloudmagic.com/k/d/mailapp?ct=pa&cv=8.5.31&pv=6.0.1&source=email_footer_2]

Pong worked out great! Didn’t get to it till just now.

The original file is 1504x1504, just a bit larger than HD. But this has to cover a 360 viewing angle… its really slightly SD footage when you think about it. Also, lighting plays a big part. It only operates on auto with a fixed aperture, when the whole picture isn’t lit properly, it boosts the gain increasing artifacts…

The ideal way to do this is with multiple 4K cameras and stitching. But this little guy gets the job done for the ease it provides…

3 Likes

That was fun,
I see how the lighting makes a big difference. Thanks for posting the vids. They are a lot of fun to peek at.

These are fantastic! I’ve talked with someone else with a 360 rig but it never happened. These should definitely be added to a front page and the official youtube channel. @LisaSelk or @JayJohnson600 might know who’s in charge of uploading to the channel.

1 Like

I’ll be glad to help but right now I don’t have any visits planned. I can let you know when I’m going up there, if that would be useful.

Nice. Can something this be done live? Or does it rely on post processing?

Nice shot of the Interactive Computer Museum :wink:

Guess we should have pong running on the screen so the video would be fully “meta”

Very kewl Corbin (@Corbimos)!

I would love to upload the videos and add them to their own “playlist” on our YouTube channel! (The channel only has a couple of videos uploaded so far… so adding these will improve the content innumerably! :wink: :slight_smile: )

Please let me know how you’d like for me to get the files, and if there is any special wording you would like to be used… (I see the “Creative Commons Attribution license (reuse allowed)” designation. It looks like I can just click on the link to remix it, set a new title and go that route - or if you’d rather that I upload it separately, I can do that too…

Just let me know, and Thanks again!

Lisa
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

You can grab these any way you’d prefer!

I’ll get the on the DMS Digital media storage sometime this week. I’ve also put the source files on the drive link below.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5DWBR3Map89VUk0aTZpRVp2NWc&usp=sharing

Thanks!

1 Like

This rig in specific needs very little post work since its a single lens. Only a bit of post for the logos.

live streaming is available, but only for iOS users now…

1 Like

I copied the files on the Committees drive.

N:\digitalmedia\DMS-stockmedia\DMS360\

As I get new footage i’ll place it in that location. I’ll copy all the project files there as well.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks Corbin!

I’ll get them uploaded this weekend! Is there any particular CC license / acknowledgement / technical details / etc… that you would like for me to include in the description?

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nothing specific from me! Thanks!

1 Like