DIY Induction Heater

Walter brought this in last Sat.
Interesting possibilities…

Rebar starting to glow red.

Pulls a few amps

11 Likes

@Gimli

I think a smaller coil will work better with smaller diameters. Want to try annealing some brass Wednesday evening?

1 Like

That’s less amperage than I would have figured.

The amperage changed as the piece heated as well as where I held it within the rings

The coil shipped with this is hollow to allow water cooling; however, I suspect the Chinese use hollow to save material cost and rely on the skin effect.

I suspect that since this is only a kilowatt, it may not be needed.

Yes!! I’ll be there. I have mine working too. I tried it on a piece of .308 brass and I think it is going to take some work to get it right. It heated the brass OK, I’m not sure how hot the brass was but the coils were almost as hot as the brass. I can see how with iron most of the power will go to the iron but with brass there is little preference between the two.

I think I’ll need to use tubing to water cool the coil. The coil is much longer, and bigger around than I need. I was thinking of maybe two turns three deep to keep the 6 turns. Although that might just heat the inner coils more.

I know that it is being used on brass so there must be a way.

amazing did Walter design this?

what is your name? Is this walter’s account?

what did you use for the circuit ? Is that a variac and induction heater zvs driver?

Amazon currently has several listings for 1kw induction heating modules with the coils. Some of them look like what is under the fan. The rest is a basic DC power supply.

It is a standard ZVS 1000W induction heater powered by a 120V to 25V toroidal transformer followed by a full wave bridge rectifier followed by an 8300 uF filter capacitor.

2 Likes