DIY duvet insert?

I’m absolutely new to sewing (have maybe attempted using a sewing machine one for a halloween costume) and after looking through hundreds of comforters, duvets, etc. I’ve pretty much decided I just want to make my own! I know it’s a huuuuge beginner project considering I need a king-sized comforter… So I’m just wondering if anyone has attempted this before and if you have any advice for a beginner like me!

I also want to make my own pillows (preferably down but maybe not after seeing how messy it can get) as well as duvet cover, pillow case, etc.

I just moved back to DFW after being in LA for 3 years so my wallet is depleted hahah and I have so much remodeling to do at the house that I just want to DIY anything I can!

And I’m totally aware I could save money by just buying some crap comforter/covers on Amazon for like less than $50 buuuuut I still want quality! heh… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You ought to check the prices for the materials you’re looking at first. I’ve never gotten into “quality” comforters, but typically in sewing, if you’re buying quality materials, they’re going to cost you. Possibly more than it’d cost to purchase the finished good. I’m not even sure where you’d get down from. I don’t think you can buy it at JoAnn’s…

1 Like

Yeah, I think Beth is right. You’d spend more on supplies than if you just bought the real thing.

Personally, I recently acquired what turned out to be a king size duvet -accompanied by some feather throw pillows and random linens for the princely sum of about $27 and a road trip to east Texas to pick up the purchase. Internet estate auction.

That said, perhaps you can find some used down sleeping bags for cheap that you could reconfigure?

Echoing what other people have said about the cost of raw materials …

You might consider buying a cheap(ish) comforter, trimming it to size it needed and using that as the interior. Chances are the underside will be white and you can put that side facing up under your cover.

A similar option is to buy a plain white duvet and make your own cover.

Flat sheets are great fabric to make your own duvet cover - and they’re already about the right size. If you make one end of the cover completely open and put a bunch of buttons across it, you can wash just the cover as needed.

A benefit if you have pets … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And if you have pets, consider a denim or other strong material blanket or cover. I’m on my 4th internet ordered co.forter due to wear by the pets

1 Like