DIY Cyanoacrylate Accelerator

Do you have an affordable source on CA glue? I’ve considered buying those little disposable tubes in bulk, but I think there is probably a better way to go.

I buy the Harbor Freight packets:

There is 1 ounce total of glue in each set so it costs $3 per ounce

For a lower per ounce cost the 8 ounce Bob Smith Industries brand is best deal to my knowledge at $2.16 per ounce.

When buying CA glue in bulk you should remember that CA glue degrades over time.

This degradation of the CA once the package is opened is why I like to use the Harbor Freight sets.

Bonus find is 8 ounce Bob Smith Industries brand CA accelerator. Other than baking soda, my preference, this is the cheapest acellerator I have seen:

**Edit

Looks like you can buy it in 5 gallon jugs for $0.30 per ounce without shiping:
http://www.industrialgeneralstore.com/search-product-extra.asp?THREEMIDStockNumber=62492485305

1 Like

Sprinkled or in a water solution for spray?

We are always out in the woodshop, and I dislike having to borrow from Kris all the time for class (Thank you @Kriskat30).

1 Like

Found the Bob Smith products at Hobby Lobby. By the models and very expensive tiny super glues right next door to Dollar Tree in Lewisville.

And there is an “extreme power accelerant” that is “for use with APS products”. None of which are are in sight. No other description or price.

Sprinkled is all I’ve ever seen

1 Like

I don’t know a source but from a couple things I’ve read buying large bulk bottles hurts in the long run so even if bulk small bottles are more expensive they are cheaper in the long run

I sprinkle the baking soda. It would be a fun mini project to test the effectiveness of baking soda sprinkled on VS deluteted in water or alcohol or some other solvents.

Calling @Team_Science

1 Like

I have had a large bottle of Bob Smith super glue in my work fridge for probably 5 or 6 years now and it still seems to work fine, also have the matching Insta-Set pump bottles and they work really well.

1 Like

Now that I bought the Bob Smith version, I can test it vs the home made accelerants.

IN THEORY - all you should have to use is water. The accelerators don’t do much other than make a seal with surface tension on the glue. Hint: the glue sets up very quickly in a vacuum. any additives in the accelerator is simply for evaporation. and that’s the rest of the story.

2 Likes

Its stabilized by acids and cures in the presence of hydroxide ions. So
water and backing soda will do the trick. Maybe add some ethanol to lower
surface tensions and hasten drying. It looks like the commercial
accelerators use https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toluidine with various
hydrocarbon carriers.

2 Likes

So I did some thoroughly non-scientific testing today, here is what I found:

• When sprayed, any amount of undissolved baking soda will gum up the sprayer.

• Water & Baking Soda

• The water was able to dissolve the most baking soda out of all the stuff I tested.
    • Sped up drying, but took almost as long as air drying
  • 70% Isopropyl Alcohol, Water & Baking Soda

• I played with a number of ratios, but did not see a significant improvement in performance
    • Less baking soda dissolved into the solutions
  • 70% Isopropyl Alcohol & Baking Soda

• Worked the best out of everything I test, noticeably faster drying of the super glue
    • Least amount of baking soda dissolved in to the solution
  • Naptha & Baking Soda

• The baking soda did not dissolve at all, so this idea was abandoned.
  • Sprinkling Baking Soda

• Was by far the fastest acting
    • No smell
    • A bit messy

– Frank

4 Likes

So what you’re saying is, add sprinkles to your super glue not frosting

2 Likes