DIY Acoustic damping

Lots out there. Does anyone have experience with this?

I would like max bang for the buck and time expense with a semi attractive setup for a rather echoic small wood paneled library area in a home.

Easiest and cheapest stuff looks something like this

It would be great for home, but unless it has a label showing it fire-proof rated, the Fire Marshal will want it taken down.

Not trying to be a downer, but we’ve gone through several iterations of sound deadening materials in DM.

1 Like

Wouldnt this be fantastic for digital media? @Kevin

Yes, Fire rated materials only. If you have any doubts please send me a copy of the material’s ratings and I will personally show it to the Fire Marshal. We, that is DMS, have been down this road before with the Fire Marshal.

2 Likes

Shit I wish it was that easy. I really, really do

1 Like

Does this stuff work?

I’m not so worried about the fire rating for the home. I got a whole wall of flammable books!

This would be for a 20 x 20’ room I have in mind at the house.

1 Like

Go for it then. I’ve been in rooms with this, it worked good. I did notice that each adjacent panel was 90 degrees to each other.

Yeah the 90 degree checkering makes a big difference. Otherwise you end up with uneven absorption

This one advertises A+ Fire Rating. Don’t think I would soak them in water, just in case the Fire Rating is from a Borax treatment.

Owens Corning 703 wrapped in the fabric of your choice. Variations of that depending on the offending frequencies. This is the go-to when we’re treating auditoriums/studios/theaters, etc.

The foam stuff works, but it’s noise coefficient ratio isn’t as consistent across freq ranges. Also, not as potentially attractive depending on your choice of fabric.

Are the very pointy acoustic cones made from foam, or something else?

4’x2’ - maybe easier to put up in larger pieces but as you noted, you’d want to cover them with something.

1 Like

I have also seen the foam bonded to the 703, then wrapped. Helps cover more of the spectrum.

That’s exactly the idea. We usually use a combination of multiple sizes and use vampire clips to make the mounting incredibly easy.

@kbraby, that’s one way, but if I remember right, the foam only adds absorption in the upper ranges, which are already pretty well handled by even 1” 703.

Acoustimac has some good nrc charts for 703:
( https://www.acoustimac.com/nrc-all/8X4NRC-2-OC703.html )

If you’re trying to handle speech echo, 1” will do great for you. If the echo sounds more hollow, go with 2” as this likely indicates a lower freq culprit and will also cover the upper ranges. 4” is typically only used if you’re dealing with strong bass sources (bass guitars, kick drums, etc).

You’ll probably get a pretty good result from a few panels placed on perpendicular walls. The opposing wall will still reflect, but it won’t have anything to reflect back to it and continue the delay (echo).

1 Like

Wait, which side does the sonic reflective aluminum sheeting face?

Just make sure that the covering you use is also Fireproof. A spray on fire retardant will not work. If the covering material has a Fireproof rating, them keep the datasheet as proof for the Fire Marshall. If you have questions, send me a copy of the covering material datasheet and I’ll personally contact the Fire Marshall for approvals before you spend your money.

This is what we’ve been reviewing
Very well put together 101 guide

acoustics101v3_0-compressed.pdf (1.9 MB)

Can you double stud the wall so there is no connection from one wall to the other? Doing so eliminates the direct conduction of sound every 16".

2 Likes

That is the next level up and suggested but IDK if we are allowed to.

I’d probably stagger the studs so would not have to make wall so thick and would weave insulation between.

1 Like