Distraction post#1 - Where's the best restaurant you've ever eaten?

Frank’s BBQ, Tulsa.
The Monaco, Uyo, Nigeria.
Peterson’s Buffet, Cheyenne.

3 Likes

One thing I haven’t been able to find here is Hiroshima style Okonomiyaki, everything is Osaka style. I didn’t realize it was a thing between the 2 cities I was just wandering around Hiroshima and walked into a little restaurant that smelled good. I have been disappointed with all of the Osaka style Okonomiyaki here :frowning:

1 Like

Ah, I was struggling to remember one of the other hole-in-the-wall places that’s really good and Kebabs was what I was forgetting!

3 Likes

I can remember restaurant experiences, but not the restaurant names.

When I was about four years old, (50+ years ago) my aunt took the family out for dinner at a place in Dallas near Love Field. I think it was supposed to be Moroccan. I remember the doorman had this flowing Bedouin robe in deep jewel colors and a turban that seemed to be two feet tall. And I remember a ginormous pepper mill during the salad course.
Edit: remembered the name. La Tunisia. https://www.cardcow.com/113490/la-tunisia-restaurant-exchange-park-dallas-texas/

In the 1980’s, there was a French restaurant on Cole Street a block or two south of Knox in an old church building. I don’t remember what I ate (Except it was good), but I remember the service. Napkins replaced at the first sign of spillage and silverware replaced every time you set a piece down. I was impressed. It didn’t last long, though.

In the early 1990’s, I went to the Bay Area to meet an email friend. We began the adventure in Monterey. That evening, we trekked out to find some dinner in the Cannery Row district. We were searching for a place to park, and accidentally pulled into a lot that was reserved for a specific restaurant. The lot attendants encouraged us to try the restaurant. We were both pretty grungy-looking, but figured we would give it a shot. We enter the restaurant, and it is CLASSY. As noted we were not, and were about to turn around and leave. The maitre’d arrived and we mumbled something about clearly not being dressed properly for the place. He scoffed and told us we were fine, and promptly seated us in the front window. Talk about welcoming. The waiter recited the specials, one of which was sand dabs. Neither of us had a clue what that was. He explained they were a small type of fish with bones so small, they were essentially boneless, so there was no need to pick bones out you ate. Sounded like a winner to us. And that meal was A. MAZE. ING. later, I looked it up in my AAA guidebook, and discovered it was one of the few five-star places in that area.

2 Likes

Does anyone remember when Love Field terminal building was turned into an entertainment center called Llove? It had an ice rink, roller rink, movie theater and arcade. It was there in the mid 70’s. I vaguely remember the stairs had glass tube handrails with fish swimming in them.

2 Likes

Almost all Japanese food is like that.
I found one Okonomiyaki that was good one time in Richardson off of Greenville ave, but that place is gone now.
I’ve had the same problem with soba. Ramen is never an issue, there seems to be a Ramen House on every corner anymore, but real soba is hard to find, but when I do, I can find the Tokyo and Osaka Style because they seem to be more well-known. What I seem to have a really hard time with (translation = completely unsuccessful) is finding Okinawan soba.

1 Like