Dispose of rounds?

While cleaning out the bed of a used truck I just bought, I found a box of 20 rounds of 22 LR shotshells. How can I dispose of these safely? My experience with weapons is mostly limited to those of 20 megatons or more.

I’d say if you don’t want to give them to someone that can use them, assuming they are safe to fire, use a pair of pliers to remove the bullet from the shell, a la:

You say shotshells.

You can remove the tip and dump out the shot, powder and wadding, leaving just the cartridge and primer in the rim.

Soak the powder in water to destroy.

You can discharge the resulting “blank” in a .22 firearm or nail gun.

I would just find someone on here that wants them, as they are not going to randomly go bad.

2 Likes

Removing a .22 rimfire is easier than the .223 in the video. I didn’t watch the whole video so the following might be redundant. After removing the bullet pour out the powder, amazing how little powder there is. The best way to dispose of the powder is to light it on fire. It will not explode because it is a propellant not an explosive. Water will disable it also but I’m not sure if it will be flammable after it dries out.

Drop a drop of oil into the case, any oil will work. This will disable the priming mixture.

2 Likes

Water is used in the final rinse process for many smokeless powders, so once dry it will very likely be flamable again.

2 Likes

You can pour the powder in your flower bed. A lot of reloading folks do that. I however like to set if free by lighting it on fire. Best I remember if you pour water in it & it dries, its still flammable. Of course that depends on the base of the powder.

Another use is to dissolve gunpowder in acetone to make a flamible slurry glue for pyrotechnics.

If you don’t want them, I’d be happy to take them off your hand for dispatching vermin at the ranch.

Find someone who wants them. They should be easy to get rid of. If that fails then most hazardous waste disposals like those run by cities usually take ammunition. I don’t recommend trying to dismantle them.

3 Likes

Be happy to give them to you. Dispatching vermin is probably why they were in the truck. Got the truck from a rancher.
How do I get them to you?

1 Like

your local PD will take them. i have found they will usually come out to you to pick them up.

2 Likes

Have a neighbor call in that you’ve got “an arsenal of several guns and boxes of ammo” and they’ll come even faster! :wink:

I can come to the space today or will be there Thursday night and next Sunday at 1 in prep for the storage extension meeting.

I’m up in the Lewisville/Highland Village area.

I will be at the space today. I need to make a one inch weld and have some oak to cut down. I will get there about 3 PM and will be there for an hour or two. I am wearing jeans and a blue long sleeved knit shirt with a crew collar (and my normal gray hair).

I have to be in Prosper at 4 to look at a 4-wheeler for deer hunting. I’ll be at the space at 3 to meet up with you but can’t stay long.

Thanks!

Raymond

Thanks to all for your helpful responses to my question. I have passed the rounds on to Raymond so they can be used instead of thrown away.

1 Like

Thanks and it was nice to meet you today!

1 Like