DISCUSSION: Private Events in DMS classrooms?

There probably should have been a Board agenda item to remove auditors to help with confusion maybe.

Technically speaking, I was wondering if the disabled dms.local AD accounts translated to a disabled Calendar account (sometimes disabled accounts in AD don’t mean disabled accounts to auxiliary systems; not sure how this one is set up).
It appears, then, that a disabled dms.local AD account means the user cannot log in to the Calendar system, either, thus effectively making them “not on the list”, as, by virtue of not being able to log in to the Calendar system, would be unable to reject classes carrying honorarium requests, which, as the only function of an Honorarium Auditor, renders their presence effectively void. :slight_smile:

1 Like

is there any objection to having this list on a wiki page (other than it being impossible to maintain long term, but we can always hope…)?

I don’t have one, but as you stated. Wiki items that pertain to membership/groups are always changing and almost always out of date.

1 Like

Excellent question! What you’re thinking is a “sync” type of authentication system where every X hours, the calendar system would update its database based on AD. That’s not how the calendar was designed. I try to avoid any systems that work like this due to the sync issues that inevitably occur.
The calendar does not have its own authentication source. It is completely federated to AD.

1 Like

it is done.
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Honorarium_auditors

3 Likes

That’s correct. If you drill down to the details, title notwithstanding, members can attend on Day 1. But the event on the second day is not only listed as Private but it requires permission from the host to attend.

In which case, at least in the context of the original post, it seems reasonable to me to treat the two events separately. One is “private” in label only which I assume is not objectionable to @Hardsuit. The other is actually private which I assume is objectionable.

“MultiCam” is a precious tool. “Classroom”, however, is a limited space. I believe it would be helpful for discussions about reserving resources to differentiate between quantity (one / a few / many) and kind (tool / space). I suspect a different set of rules are needed for different quantities / kinds of resources.

In any case, we lack a consistent definition for “private” which makes civil discussion difficult. For example, a person-limited class that has reached that limit is, by the dictionary definition, “private”…
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/2096

Personally, if you’re intending to film in a room, especially something that takes a long time, I’d MUCH rather you reserve the space first.

2 Likes

Pearce,

Regarding your comment about audition events and them treating members like “shit”, can you please message the times this has happened and with who (best memory you can give)

The Film Crew hosts auditions, and we regularly use it for that, but that is unacceptable behavior. I push our crew to respect the space as someone else’s home, we are very grateful of the resources here and the people. Stan has approached me several times about any issue that has occurred with our crew, and I welcome that feedback to make sure we use the space fairly.

When the Film Crew hosts auditions, it is not private. Our meetings are based on education. If someone wants to sit in on an audition and see how it works, they are more than welcome to. We just ask to be respectful as the actors perform.

As for THIS event that is being talked on this thread, I can say this is not related to our Crew, so I want to make sure that we are not associated with this member.

With that said, I will assume the Chairperson role for DIgital Media (pending board approval off course) so I would love to talk about this issue in our meetings.

5 Likes

It’s not the crew, it’s the people who get all fussy that the door is locked to non members. The people who are “there to audition” I couldn’t give you any dates, I stopped answering the door. I just hang out in the workshop

3 Likes

Whoever the sponsoring member is should provide their phone number on the Calendar page so they can answer the door and ensure that their guess sign the waivers. People in the Common Room aren’t here to answer DFC’s attendees and ensure waivers are signed.

DFC should have someone in the lobby to handle this as part of their planning.

3 Likes

Below is copied from my comments on the original “request” that spurred this “discussion”. The original request is now closed, as documented in my post. I am copying it here for documentation and tracking purposes.

[quote="LisaSelk, post:57, topic:19117, full:true"] I have created a new DISCUSSION thread for the discussion of this REQUEST.

Regardless of the title of the two events in question, since the first of the two is open for anyone (as in no restrictions - members and non-members can all register); and, the second one appears to be a continuation, or “next step” in the casting call process and is limited to only attendees who are approved (which makes sense in an elimination type of process that casting calls usually have…), it seems as if it falls within the spirit of “open to members” - in much the same way as 3D Printer Basics is open to all members; but, no-one can attend the advanced classes for the Resin Printer unless they have completed the prerequisite (being the 3D Printer Basics class…). I realize it’s not an exact comparison; but, for all practical purposes, the first day of auditions is open to everyone and essentially ends up being a prerequisite to the second event. Based on that, I am going to close this request at this time. If anything changes as a result of the continued discussion on the discussion thread (DISCUSSION: Private Events in DMS classrooms?) and there is a solid ruling that supports the request to delete one or both events; please mention (“tag”) @Team_Moderators so one of the active moderators can consider re-opening this request - or recommending a new request be created. Please do not open a new request unless/until a solid ruling is made that supports the initial request. Thank you!

Edit to add: I would suggest that in the future, similar casting calls be worded a little better in both the title and description so that Calendar Admins do not have to go in and check all the options checked on the events. Something to the effect of “Casting Call - Open to ALL” for the first, and “Continuation of Casting Call - Restricted to Finalists (of yesterday’s open call)” - or something along those lines…
[/quote]

The Calendar system only allows members to schedule on it. Unless you are a member you can’t enter an event.

Except DM is resource rich.

Quite the conundrum.

Alex - Film Crew uses a lot of conference rooms, but most members never get to see the product of all that usage. Have you ever considered having an open screening for the members of something that was shot/produced at DMS? Perhaps in conjunction with a Pot Luck?

4 Likes

John,

We actually did try that once late last year (Oct 7th). It was called a Makerspace Screening. We put some flyers around to let people know, and we brought some popcorn and soda for the showing.

Only a few Makerspace members (non-film crew) came (mainly people who we already talk to frequently).

We did not, however, post it on talk at the time. anyways, it was a little test we did, and we can certainty try again. I will look into the Pot Luck deal.

Thanks!

4 Likes

I am curious to jump into some of the film related stuff but it’s always felt distant somehow. Perhaps I’ll try coming to the next non-private one that I can. I think the fact that so many are private has caused me to shy away a bit.

None of our Dallas Film Crew events are private, all our meetings are open. We do however encourage new people who want to come to our Film Crew meetings to come to a New Member Day that we host monthly. This allows people to understand how we work, what we do, and all that good stuff. But you can jump into our meetings anytime you want.

I’ve noticed some film related stuff pop up recently that have been private (like these private audition taping ones). Those are not related to any of our Film Crew projects/people

4 Likes

That makes sense. I don’t currently see any New Member Day events on the DMS calendar. Do they get posted there? If so, how soon can I expect to find the next one; if not, where can I find them?