Discussion of events

Who is that?

1 Like

It actually has a fourth; Electronics. Embedded development is a very popular activity at DMS.

While I have no dog in this hunt I would suggest that we avoid a turf issue that occurred when I first joined.

I was asked to teach a class on basic still photography lighting. I submitted (and got approval) for the class with the honorarium going to Creative Arts. The then chair of Digital Media had a fit that DM wasn’t getting the honorarium. There was discussion and the CA chair was fine with DM getting the honorarium. However, as the teacher I wasn’t. I canceled the class and held it where no one got the honorarium.

The point is that software development is a part of much of the art of making today, and a single committee is not going to dictate that activity for every body. Some will continue to perform that activity for VCC (for instance @Bill and his 6502 python) and for Electronics (@Bill, @Microrustyc, and Jim).

Fighting about who and what before the committee is even formed doesn’t bode well.

Now on an unrelated note, I have a question for those who want a committee instead of a SIG.

The only thing a Committee offers that a SIG doesn’t is the ability to claim space and directly spend money. What is this proposed committee’s intent in those two area?

4 Likes

Sorry for the delay guys, this is my first chance to post.

@heyheymama I wanted the others to also see what I have to say on the subject, so I posted my reply here: Software Development Committee - Initial Meeting

Thank you @Brian for clarifying for the record. You’re awesome!

@denzuko You made mention that you have made several attempts to reach out to me. This statement brings my character into question. Before Tuesday’s meeting, you and I have only met once. By meeting, I am referring to introductions of names, not a discussion of agendas. Before that introduction, there was only one request to meet which was in my post on my “Vision for Digital Media” which stated: “If your on discord or google+ then please ping me and lets see how we can help each other out.”.

I replied to you via PM and stated:

We definitely have committee overlap and I look forward to working with you on future projects. I have discord and google+, but don’t check them often. The best place to reach me is either here or via email cl@c**o

Next time we see each other at the space, we should take a few minutes for introductions.

If you have other attempts of reaching out to me via my email that was provided, a PM on talk, or any other form of communication, please post them here and I will apologize for my neglect. If you can not provide these “several attempts” in which you refer, I am requesting a formal apology in response to your liable claim.

1 Like

One would hope that we could understand where I’m coming from in that its not a reforming of Vintage Computer Committee into a new direction or committee just a rename of the committee as VCC already been the “new committee” we’re discussing for a few years now. Ultimately, a four hour posting on talk date the last moment followed by complete dismissal of any input usually does not warrant a lot of warm hearted response from anyone especially after already reaching out before the change of committee leads to discuss this very same matter a head of time.

I’ve always welcomed every one to attend and contribute to VCC especially in software and IT aspects. Let alone worked on cross committee collaboration. The 'vintage or retro" aspect has been a committee project from day one known as Interactive Computer Museum (ie ICM) and not the sole reason for the committee.

New Committee or not; VCC is still hosting the DMS Development Priority Meeting this month for the space’s internal development, along with the Network+, CTF/Infosec, Python, and JavaScript classes going forward into the next quarter. We have a tensorflow cluster already in the committee area with the sign up sheet at VCC Computer Community Grid Signup Sheet with tensorflow classes going up after the holidays.

We’ll still be hosting TED style talks at UTD for DevOps, InfoSec, and as an open form for the membership to present their projects to a larger audience along with the YouTube channel as part our on going efforts towards the committee’s Code Slinger project.

Furthermore, volunteer postings are going up on talk and new Digital version of the old Jobline board that VCC is developing for PR and Infrastructure.

That said, yes the membership should get a chance to vote and have their say. I welcome it and will speak with the board for a little guidance tonight and even see if we can table the name change until the next BoD meeting. I also invite everyone to come out to the next Committee meeting.

Unless you held the class in the Digital Media room or used their equipment, the chair of DM had no say. I would have told him to go film himself…

2 Likes

That was less clear at the time.

Just withdraw your agenda item and post on next month’s agenda. As long as outside the 48 hrs, it won’t even show up.

4 Likes

agreed

I think this debate is less about turf war and more about whether or not the chair of the proposed committee should be voted on or placed by default.

I am truly impartial how the new committee is formed, only that, if formed a chair be elected in by its members.

Walter, sorry you had that experience. Digital Media is currently working on new classes on 9 different subject matters and looking for more. A class on basic still photography lighting would be huge for DMS as many of our members have product shots they would like to capture. If you are willing to teach a class on this subject, I don’t care where the honorarium goes, that’s entirely your business. My primary goal as chair is that more Digital Media classes be taught, not to attempt to strong-arm members for their honorariums. I just ask that you please reconsider teaching your class and let me know any way I can help with this.

It is my understanding that the purpose of a committee is for space OR finance, not AND. Please verify this.

Our purpose is for financial so we may promote hackathons and have prize money, pay to have lecturers come give talks, purchase development platforms, etc.

We live in a virtual space and can reserve rooms for our meetings, so space at DMS is not an issue.

The elections are essentially irrelevent. Chairs are appointed by the board. They usually accept the vote, but not always.

BTW, not sure prize money will be an acceptible use of DMS funds. Have you talked with @Photomancer about that?

Aren’t all development platforms(computers) the purvue of infrastructure?

BTW, my annecdote was relating to a chair who is no longer a member. Nothing to do with DM now. Just using it as an example of what I think may occur if we try to put software development under one umbrella. IMO, its use at DMS, is to diverse to work well that way.